Home » Audio » Speaker » Best computer speakers?
Best computer speakers? [message #62534] Thu, 06 May 2010 13:10 Go to next message
woofer is currently offline  woofer
Chancellor
I have a decent system and sound card now. I get great sound through my Logitech headset but I hate having headphones on for too long as it hurts my ears. I need to get some speakers now that I have my set up in my own office - what do you suggest for a computer?
Re: Best computer speakers? [message #62570 is a reply to message #62534] Mon, 10 May 2010 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djessa is currently offline  djessa
Chancellor
It would be great if you'll not buy cheap speaker for your PC because it will not last longer. I had a very bad experience of buying the cheapest brand in the market. The sound was totally horrible. I highly recommend to buy Logitech brand. I can assure you that you'll enjoy listening mellow music. I'm currently using Logitech X-540 PC speaker at home.
Re: Best computer speakers? [message #63582 is a reply to message #62534] Fri, 30 July 2010 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundbuzz is currently offline  Soundbuzz
Chancellor

My computer speakers at home are Lacie Sound 2. It cost me a mere $136 and I'm very satisfied with it. It looks and sounds expensive. The bass doesn't sound silly and flabby like how I've experienced the bass from PC speakers to sound like. In fact it booms with just enough intensity, not too much, just enough to get my groove on. The speakers sound very balanced, crystal clear and I love spending countless hours with all my favorite tracks playing through it.

I think nowadays you can get pretty worthy PC speakers at more affordable prices, but I guess it all depends on what you're using them for and how much you're willing to fork out for them.

For the higher range products in the market, I was really attracted to B&W MM-1's sound when I saw and heard it playing at one of the stores in my area. It 'punched' me, literally. I felt out of breath. It is small too, I never expected the punchy sounds I was hearing came from this dwarf. Soon!

The lunatics are in the hall.
Re: Best computer speakers? [message #63590 is a reply to message #62534] Sat, 31 July 2010 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
When I bought my speakers, I really wanted the Bose but couldn't fork out $350. I went with Klipsch for about half that. They sound really good.

At work, I bought a set of Insignia from Best Buy for about $50. It has two remotes and a sub-woofer. I was surprised how good they sound. Not as good as the Klipsch of course but well worth the money.

Re: Best computer speakers? [message #63593 is a reply to message #62534] Sat, 31 July 2010 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Strictly speaking, anything with a woofer in each channel.

It depends on how important the presentation of the music is to you. There has got to be an active set of speakers out there that can easily fit to work with an 1/8th inch adapter which is usually the output of a PC.

Re: Best computer speakers? [message #63615 is a reply to message #63593] Mon, 02 August 2010 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Visit your local computer shop or audio shop and you can select from what they offer. If you have a good sound card then I suppose that it will produce good sound with any speakers as long as the speakers are not the generic types.
Re: Best computer speakers? [message #63621 is a reply to message #62534] Mon, 02 August 2010 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
It seems from reading what everyone else has, mine are pretty gimpy. Laughing

I have been through a few other brands myself and they seem to have a short shelf life so to speak, I guess you do get what you pay for. Rolling Eyes
Re: Best computer speakers? [message #65286 is a reply to message #63621] Wed, 15 December 2010 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woodfree is currently offline  woodfree
Baron
For the computer, there are a lot of quality brands to choose from. But I would recommend speakers made by Altec Lansing.

They produce great sound quality and they have designs that are almost similar as the ones that Bose makes: the ones that are small in shape but can produce strong, high-quality sounds. This design is very economical and helps to save on space.
Re: Best computer speakers? [message #65289 is a reply to message #62534] Wed, 15 December 2010 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Whatever you do, absolutely do not consider Bose Companion II speakers. My mother used to work for the company and doesn't know any better. They are the worst speakers I have ever heard. A couple weeks back when my speakers were in storage, I borrowed them so my nephew and I could sing. Awful! They try to compensate for the loudness of the mix in a weird way (like it will attenuate bass to match the highs) and they add unnatural phasey harmonics on the bass frequencies.

Bose is garbage, plain and simple. I don't know how anyone with even a slight understanding of good sound could consider that brand anything but overpriced dime store garbage.

Their sister company JBL is still some of the best stuff made.

Re: Best computer speakers? [message #65317 is a reply to message #65289] Fri, 17 December 2010 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Adveser wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 18:31
Bose is garbage, plain and simple. I don't know how anyone with even a slight understanding of good sound could consider that brand anything but overpriced dime store garbage.

This made me wonder why Bose speakers have high price tags. If people are not buying it then the company would lower its prices.

I have an HP speaker in the office and it is quite nice to listen to. Altec Lansing is also good brand name.
Previous Topic: Quiet setup
Next Topic: Hole on Sub Woofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:30:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout