Home » Audio » Speaker » Fix or chuck it?
Fix or chuck it? [message #62348] Wed, 14 April 2010 14:31 Go to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
I have a large and rather old speaker set in our living room that our youngest ended up smashing the front piece off (the screen portion). I am debating actually getting new speakers or not, but this is only cosmetic for the most part. What would someone else do, or is it possible to get a new front piece? I am not sure if I could find a replacement for something this old. Crying or Very Sad
Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #62350 is a reply to message #62348] Wed, 14 April 2010 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What brand and model? Did you like the speaker before the damage?

Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #62594 is a reply to message #62348] Tue, 11 May 2010 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drummer is currently offline  Drummer
Chancellor
If they are very old, you should invest in some newer ones. Newer ones will probably have better sound quality if you purchase a good brand.
Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #62595 is a reply to message #62594] Tue, 11 May 2010 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Uhh, not to be argumentative, but I still would want to assess what I had before blindly chucking it and starting new. I am assuming candoon doesn't really know because of the post.

If the old speakers are nothing special, then maybe starting from scratch makes more sense. But what if they're old Klipsch speakers? What if they're JBL Hartsfields?

There are some older speakers that are way better than what you'll get at your local Best Buy today.

Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #63008 is a reply to message #62348] Tue, 01 June 2010 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
If the sound quality of your speakers are still good then I would try to find a way to repair them. I wouldn't take them to a store like Best Buy but rather to a small business that specializes in restoration.
Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #63136 is a reply to message #63008] Fri, 11 June 2010 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
I just actually looked and snagged a pic, its a brand I never really heard of before and no, they are well past their limits. The front faces are falling off (toddlers) and they crackle (bad), so I know I need some.
Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #63300 is a reply to message #62348] Thu, 01 July 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
It really depends on what you want to do. As Wayne states, if you are happy with them then I do not see any reason to change them. But if you feel you want to try something new, then that is your choice!
Re: Fix or chuck it? [message #63351 is a reply to message #62348] Thu, 08 July 2010 08:56 Go to previous message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
If it were up to me and I liked the sound, I'd keep them. The problem would be with my wife and how they look in our living room. If I could return them to "near original" it wouldn't be a problem on the home front and hopefully cheaper than a new set of speakers.
Previous Topic: Advent Loudspeakers
Next Topic: How important are speaker wires?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:06:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio