Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Number Nine...
Number Nine... [message #62288] Mon, 05 April 2010 08:15 Go to next message
danielm is currently offline  danielm
Esquire
Wayne, I can't seem to find much info on the 9 other than it is a horn loaded three way with around 106db sensitivity.

Is it a trap box? Size, weight, polars, max output...

Is it available as a flat pack?

Omega vs JBL or, is there a new eminence neo driver that will work? My old back says I'll need to cut this box up into two or three sections. Shocked

Thanks.
Re: Number Nine... [message #62290 is a reply to message #62288] Mon, 05 April 2010 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not available, but I did do some initial investigations, basic models, etc. So sometimes when people are looking at prosound applications for my midhorn, I point to those 9π Hornresp models as something to think about.

The thing is, my main market is home hifi and the prosound stuff is something I only got involved in sort of on a dare. I was asked what I would do to make a prosound sub, to improve upon the LABsub, and the 12π hornsub was my response. That's what I would do. It become a fairly ambitious project, and I ended up developing flat pack kits, cooling plugs and OEM drivers to fit the cooling plugs.

The next logical step was to build a top box to go with the 12π hornsub. I fooled around with a couple ideas, one was the 9π, and another was a hung line array, based loosely on the three π or four π. My thought was to rotate the speaker, laying it on its side, and possibly using a trapezoidal cabinet to make it possible to make a curved array, if needed. The horn flare (now beside the woofer) would be rotated to the proper orientation, perhaps putting two of them beside the woofers to decrease CTC distance between horn flares. That was just a thought, something I'd work through, but basically I never got to the point of completing either the 9π or the flown array. That was about the same time 'lil Eddie was born, and now days, I don't seem to have as much time. Rolling Eyes

Re: Number Nine... [message #62293 is a reply to message #62290] Mon, 05 April 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danielm is currently offline  danielm
Esquire
"No time..." I understand that!

I am very familiar with your work on your sub as I was one of the original sawdust club when Tom D. chimed in over on PSW.
Had I not had medical issues the first sub shootout may have happened at my ranch in north Texas where I used to host the Beanstock music festival. Wish I could have been more involved.

Many life changes since then and I am finally starting to think about what to do with some leftover gear including that big pile of beta 10s. I still have four of the original Lab subs as well as 15K watts of amp racks and some other FOH gear but no decent top boxes.
I'd kinda like to put together a mid size system that would work well at my venue just in case we decide to do it again.

BTW, Memorial weekend we will have 12 Lab subs there to play with if everything goes well. A just for fun gathering to clean and test gear.

I recently discovered the forum here and have enjoyed reading some of the very informative post. Thanks for your hard work.

Regards,
Dan M.

Re: Number Nine... [message #62299 is a reply to message #62293] Tue, 06 April 2010 14:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember that now, sorry, I didn't recognize your username at first. You and I traded a few E-mails back in 2005. I was hoping maybe we could do that first Prosound Shootout at your ranch. But I think that was about the time you had those health issues, so we did it at the Tulsa Race Track instead. Glad you're on the mend!

Maybe we should revive those someday, possibly at your ranch. Seems like the PSW folks keep wanting to do them indoors, but I know they all know better than that. You gotta do it outdoors!

It occured to me, maybe you could make a vertical array with those Beta 10's, and hang a vertical array of 15's of some flavor right beside them. You could probably put two 10's beside each 15 and keep CTC spacing tight.

One of these days, we'll have to get you some cooling plugs to try out in your LABsubs. They work great. In fact, they work so well I decided to patent them. Especially up near the crossover point, where a lot of bass energy usually hits them, the excursion is pretty low because the horn is loading the cones well. But that also means the cooling vents are stalled because there's not much motion to pump air through them. The cooling plugs really help keep the motors from getting too hot, especially when you're running them hard for a few hours straight.

Previous Topic: Sub Replacements ??
Next Topic: Celestion impedance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:12:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout