Home » Audio » Radio » Montgomery Ward Airline parts? (where to find/buy?)
Montgomery Ward Airline parts? [message #62270] Sat, 03 April 2010 21:39 Go to next message
JayT is currently offline  JayT
Esquire
I've recently been given (in family) a Montgomery Ward console radio. I need to find/buy some parts to get it back to working order but can't seem to find them online. I'm hoping that someone at the AudioRoundTable can guide me in the right direction.

It is a Montogomery Ward Airline, Model#40a561-1... Flip top, with am/fm, 8track, and turntable (from left to right). I also have the serial#, and some other #s that are on the back label (label is partially torn, so I do not have all the numbers).

The first part I need is a transformer. There is no label on it as far as secondary voltage, but it is labelled 75-270870-3, with the "0-3" part being a little dull and may be misread.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm so glad I found this site!

Thanks!
Jason
Re: Montgomery Ward Airline parts? [message #62271 is a reply to message #62270] Sat, 03 April 2010 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't expect to find anything from the part numbers, but if you can figure out how to identify what voltage(s) the secondary outputs provide, you can probably find a suitable replacement.

Re: Montgomery Ward Airline parts? [message #62273 is a reply to message #62270] Sat, 03 April 2010 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JayT is currently offline  JayT
Esquire
Thanks. I was hoping to find that out (by part numbers)... I have a bunch of 24vac secondary transformers, but I highly doubt that is what this is. It looks like a larger multi-tap transformer, actually.

Any idea where to find some wiring/spec data or info on this transformer?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm completely a noob to this and this site.

Jason
Re: Montgomery Ward Airline parts? [message #62276 is a reply to message #62273] Sun, 04 April 2010 08:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The way you would normally find out that kind of information is by looking at the schematic. Trouble is, Mongomery Ward equipment schematics are notoriously hard to find because they bought chassis from OEMs like RCA. Sometimes you can find the OEM schematic, but that's usually done by visual comparison, and that means you have to go through thousands of schematics to find one with a layout that matches yours.

Chance are, the transformer secondaries all work except for one winding. Either that or the primary is what actually opened. Have you started checking with a meter to see which windings are open? The more you know, the closer you'll be to finding a match.

Previous Topic: Radios with tubes
Next Topic: philco model 111
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:54:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout