Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » If you have a bad ear...
If you have a bad ear... [message #62257] Sat, 03 April 2010 10:46 Go to next message
Sadie is currently offline  Sadie
Chancellor
I do not have an ear for sound at all. I could set up speakers and equipment and whatnot and think it sounds fine when, in all probability, it sounds like crap. What do you do in this case? Would you hire someone else to set up your system?
Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #62258 is a reply to message #62257] Sat, 03 April 2010 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, I mean, if you're happy, then it's probably fine. But if you want the sound to be good for your guests, then maybe some measurements are in order...

Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #62365 is a reply to message #62257] Sun, 18 April 2010 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mavare
Baron
That would be the best thing to do. But as Wayne said, if you want it to sound good for guests you will have to hire someone (or ask a really good friend) to adjust the sound for you. If there was a meal included in the deal, I know quite a few guys who would be there in a heartbeat! Very Happy
Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #62367 is a reply to message #62365] Mon, 19 April 2010 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem I've seen is finding someone that really knows what they're doing. There are plenty of shops and individuals that will offer "home theater installation" but most of those (by far) are just setting up the equipment, not really doing any acoustic analysis. I think it may be worthwhile doing some research.
Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #64780 is a reply to message #62257] Sun, 21 November 2010 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scots Rich is currently offline  Scots Rich
Chancellor
I suppose it depends on the use to be made of the sound produced - if people are paying to listen (eg: at a music gig or in a cinema) then get professional advice.

Rich
Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #64842 is a reply to message #62367] Tue, 23 November 2010 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrumRoll is currently offline  DrumRoll
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 19 April 2010 10:23

The problem I've seen is finding someone that really knows what they're doing.

I agree with Wayne. However, when I added speakers to our living room for surround sound I found that getting opinions from a couple of friends who had good ear sensitivity helped me make adjustments where needed.
Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #64847 is a reply to message #62367] Tue, 23 November 2010 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Quote:
The problem I've seen is finding someone that really knows what they're doing. There are plenty of shops and individuals that will offer "home theater installation" but most of those (by far) are just setting up the equipment, not really doing any acoustic analysis. I think it may be worthwhile doing some research.

I've applied for a lot of jobs trying to do that. And they simply don't care how much concert/live/studio/pro audio work you've done in my experience. They want guys that do nothing but install home equipment and have experience doing just that. That whole industry is going to tank operating like that IMO. I think they believe that taking time to do that stuff is a "waste of time." Then again, these are the same Bozos that do cars. Rolling Eyes

Re: If you have a bad ear... [message #65076 is a reply to message #62257] Wed, 01 December 2010 16:45 Go to previous message
Rap14 is currently offline  Rap14
Baron
If I had a bad ear for sound, then I would invite over some friends so they could listen. They could help set it up, although if I could not tell the sound was bad, I would think it would not matter how I set it up.

Bee Bop Bee Bop!
Previous Topic: Bass Traps
Next Topic: Hard of hearing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:25:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers