Home » Audio » Speaker » Outdoor speakers
Outdoor speakers [message #62106] Tue, 16 March 2010 16:38 Go to next message
Sadie is currently offline  Sadie
Chancellor
I'm sure you've all seen those speakers that you can put on a patio or around a pool that look like rocks. I know it's a cheesy idea, but I'd love to have something outside that I don't have to keep dragging in every night. I'm not looking for great quality or to spend a lot. I just want something that can connect to the radio and stay out there most of the time. Any thoughts?
Thanks Smile
Re: Outdoor speakers [message #62107 is a reply to message #62106] Tue, 16 March 2010 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Can you install speakers in the soffits, or perhaps just hang them underneath? This provides natural protection from sun, rain, snow and ice. I'd still probably install relatively inexpensive speakers and not expect much in the way of quality, because I imagine they'll need to be replaced every few years. But at least putting the speakers in or underneath the soffits might give some protection. Keeps you from having to use those ugly plastic rock speakers too. Yuck!

Re: Outdoor speakers [message #62135 is a reply to message #62106] Sat, 20 March 2010 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadie is currently offline  Sadie
Chancellor
I know those "rocks" are awful, but I was thinking I could hide them in the shrubs Very Happy I don't really have anywhere I could put real speakers and keep them protected. I live on the Gulf Coast where humidity is sky high and we often get blowing rain storms that soak even the most hidden areas.
Re: Outdoor speakers [message #62693 is a reply to message #62106] Sat, 15 May 2010 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musicfan is currently offline  Musicfan
Chancellor
Have you seen that giant white speaker that you can plug your iPod into? You can also set it up to play any radio station. I'm not sure how it works but those look pretty cool too.
Re: Outdoor speakers [message #62712 is a reply to message #62693] Sat, 15 May 2010 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
I would almost rather find a way myself to build an in wall unit for speakers and keep them hidden with little doors on them (which face the patio). Tons of work I am sure, so I might need to keep that idea for my new home. Smile
Re: Outdoor speakers [message #62959 is a reply to message #62106] Sat, 29 May 2010 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musicfan is currently offline  Musicfan
Chancellor
That does sound like a lot of work but if it's what you want then go for it. Figure out your plan of action to get it done and get started Smile
Re: Outdoor speakers [message #63595 is a reply to message #62106] Sun, 01 August 2010 13:01 Go to previous message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
I was leery of putting any speakers outside since I live in the desert and it gets over 100 degrees in the summer. I found a pair of Insignia 40 watt outdoor 3-way speakers for about $40. I hung them under the patio cover near the house and they have been fine. I can't rock out the neighborhood, but they are perfect for the patio. I've only had them a year and I figure if they get fried I can get another set.
Previous Topic: Surround sound
Next Topic: horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:25:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout