Home » Audio » Speaker » Speaker wire quality
Speaker wire quality [message #62017] Mon, 08 March 2010 13:53 Go to next message
AudioAJ is currently offline  AudioAJ
Chancellor
What's the difference between your average set of speaker wire you can get at some place like Radio Shack compared to Monster Cable? Is there enough of a difference to justify the price difference?
Re: Speaker wire quality [message #62018 is a reply to message #62017] Mon, 08 March 2010 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some people get real excited about speaker wire. Myself, I am mostly looking at the conductor material and size. I prefer stranded cable too, which has some technical benefits at HF, but actually those benefits are mostly realized at frequencies above the audio band. Still it doesn't hurt. It's easier to work with too, as solid core wire isn't flexible. So it all boils down to size, in my opinion. A good pure-copper, low guage (large), stranded speaker cable is what I look for.

Re: Speaker wire quality [message #62020 is a reply to message #62018] Mon, 08 March 2010 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've compared Monster cable to zip cord and couldn't hear any difference. However, I do hear a difference between zip cord and Belden 5000 series cable, which is sold by Blue Jeans cable for a very reasonable price. The Belden provides much better resolution with a variety of speakers whose individual drivers cost anywhere from $13 to $220. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm
Re: Speaker wire quality [message #62052 is a reply to message #62017] Thu, 11 March 2010 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Look at issue #16 of The Audio Critic. You will not find a better explanation of what a cable can do to your system....C

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Back_Issues/
Re: Speaker wire quality [message #62053 is a reply to message #62052] Thu, 11 March 2010 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great article, thanks for posting the link!

That's definitely how I look at speaker wire.

As an aside, I must have forgotten that those PDFs were available online. Seems like I vaguely remember someone saying they were available, but I forgot. I bought all the back issues, but it's definitely handy to be able to post links to those articles.

Re: Speaker wire quality [message #62075 is a reply to message #62017] Sat, 13 March 2010 21:45 Go to previous message
McCormack is currently offline  McCormack
Esquire
To my ears solid core wire is far superior sounding to stranded. Give some 14 ga magnet wire a try for your speakers... it's not very expensive, so if you try it and don't like it you're not out very much.
Previous Topic: Lost track
Next Topic: jensen A-12 horn loaded
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:32:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout