Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Beta 8 Array
Beta 8 Array [message #61965] Tue, 02 March 2010 06:13 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I got my son a Peavey Bandit 112 combo amp for his birthday. It will take an 8 ohm extension speaker. I already have some Eminence Beta 8's on hand, so that's what I would like to use to build an extension cabinet. I've never heard of anybody using Beta 8's in a guitar cabinet, so I'm asking if they are suitable for this application. In this application the amp will output a max of 50W into the internal 12" speaker and 50W into the extension cabinet that will have four Beta 8's.
Re: Beta 8 Array [message #61970 is a reply to message #61965] Tue, 02 March 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, sure, Fred. Those Betas will work fine.

You know, most guitar speakers are picked by "tone", which is really set by the cone's breakup characteristics. Each has its own signature sound, and that's mostly set by the amount and color of its breakup. So the Betas might not have much "crunch" for your son's taste. They may sound more acoustic to him. Then again, that may be exactly the sound he's looking for.

Re: Beta 8 Array [message #61972 is a reply to message #61970] Tue, 02 March 2010 12:27 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, Wayne. They would work, but like the Alpha 8 they seem to have a benign breakup mode - great for accuracy but not for alternative rock. Probably better to get a single 12" guitar speakers with the characteristic breakup peak around 2-3Khz. Here's a picture of him airborne featuring some of the music he plays: listen to his own composition "The Heights" here:
http://www.myspace.com/lowrentatx
Previous Topic: DEQ2496
Next Topic: Graeme's Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:02:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers