Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges
AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61944] Sun, 28 February 2010 01:13 Go to next message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
Heads-up to anyone considering purchasing from this company.

AV123.com sells the Focus Line Source LS6 & LS9 line arrays.

From the Longmont Times-Call newspaper in Colorado where AV123.com is headquartered.

Quote:
Publish Date: 2/27/2010

Longmont man accused of charity fraud

By Scott Rochat
© 2010 Longmont Times-Call

A grand jury has indicted 53-year-old Mark L. Schifter of Longmont on suspicion of stealing $180,034 through a charity fraud.

Colorado Attorney General John Suthers announced the indictment Friday. He said the grand jury accused Schifter of running 27 illegal charity raffles online at his company's main Web site, www.AV123.com, and then keeping most of the money for himself.

"Of that amount, only $29,500 was ever given to the ostensible recipients of the donated raffle money," the grand jury said in its indictment. "Many charities that Mark Schifter said would receive large amounts of donations from his raffles, in fact, received nothing."

Schifter heads Perpetual Technologies, a company that sells high-end audio equipment. According to the indictment, he is believed to have run the raffles between Oct. 18, 2004, and Aug. 25, 2009, through an online forum at the AV123 site. At one point, the indictment said, he even set up a PayPal account to make it easier to donate.

Each raffle included an expensive piece of audio equipment as a prize, the indictment said, as well as an emotional appeal for help written by Schifter.

"The scam not only defrauded Colorado consumers, but it also preyed on their generosity," Suthers said in a statement Friday.

A total of 707 people from across the United States gave to the raffles, Suthers said. The causes promoted by the raffles included the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, The Children's Hospital of Denver, Russian orphanages, the Salvation Army and the American Red Cross efforts to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, according to the indictment.

Schifter ran each raffle without a license and without permission to use the names of the charities, the indictment claims.

"In fact, most of the organizations were unaware that a so-called raffle was being held to benefit them," the grand jury said in its indictment.

The grand jury indicted Schifter on five counts, consisting of:

• Theft of $20,000 or more.

• Committing a computer crime to scheme or defraud $20,000 or more.

• Violating raffle law by failing to get a charitable gaming license.

• Charitable fraud.

• Use of an organization's name without authorization in connection with a charitable fraud.

Suthers said his office worked with the Longmont Police Department to get the indictment.

Suthers also said that those wanting to investigate a Colorado charity can go online to www.checkthecharity.org.

Charities also can be checked out through the Boulder/Denver office of the Better Business Bureau at www.denver.bbb.org/charity.

Scott Rochat can be reached at 303-684-5220 or srochat@times-call.com.
Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61945 is a reply to message #61944] Sun, 28 February 2010 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's crazy! People donated a lot of money, looks like.

If this is true, I'll bet he was making a lot more money collecting money on the charities than he was on selling audio gear!

Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61946 is a reply to message #61945] Sun, 28 February 2010 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I think I remember reading on other forums that there were quite a few people who had ordered speakers from him and never received a thing. Jump around this thread, "DO NOT BUY anything from AV123", on Audioholics forum going back to 03-16-2009 - there are 264 pages of posts!!!!.

I seem to remember a few other threads like that on other forums. At the same time, I seem to remember quite a few posts by extremely satisfied customers, too.

Anyway, it seems that AV123.com shut down it's forum first at TweakCity.com, then on their website do to complaining posts. It seems they then reopened it with family members and employees in on the fraud as moderators who would delete any posts complaining or hinting at something suspect going on.

I actually considered buying their LS6 or LS9 array for a while last year until I came across a few unhappy posts.
Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61947 is a reply to message #61946] Sun, 28 February 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's just amazing. I know a couple of charlatans in audio, so I guess now I'll add him to the list. Weird thing is sometimes these guys have great reputations... at least for a while... and sometimes even after being exposed for what they are. Confused

Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61949 is a reply to message #61944] Sun, 28 February 2010 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Just noticed this post got moved to "The Dungeon"(didn't even know it existed). So, no warning Array fans about buying from a dealer/manufacturer currently under criminal indictment.
Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61951 is a reply to message #61949] Sun, 28 February 2010 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator
I think everyone will see this here. It is where we think this thread belongs. By the way AV123 sells much more than just arrays, so this information may be important to others as well.
Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61962 is a reply to message #61951] Mon, 01 March 2010 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That actually makes a lot of sense. I was only interested in AV123 because of their line arrays, but it seems they are probably more famous for more traditional box speakers.

Oddly, having read ~15 pages of that Audioholics thread, it seems like it is the `60 people who submitted down payment/orders on the new LS6 & LS9 line arrays that got completely ripped off. Kinda seems like the fraud indictment over the fake charity auctions may be smallest part of his crimes.
Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61963 is a reply to message #61962] Mon, 01 March 2010 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I just never get it when people act like that. It's like welfare fraud - To me, it seems easier to just get a real job and be productive. I mean, even if you didn't care about "doing the right thing", when it comes right down to it, there is probably as much work involved in thievery as there is in doing something useful, but one way helps others by your work and the other way hurts them.

Re: AV123.com owner, Mark L. Schifter, indicted on fraud charges [message #61979 is a reply to message #61963] Wed, 03 March 2010 19:15 Go to previous message
Tony Clifton is currently offline  Tony Clifton
Esquire
You guys don't be such pantywastes! A guys gotta make a living you know. This friggin guy might damn well be onta something! Better than that faggoty tights wearing girlyman Jerry Lawler, that's for freakin sure!

Lemme ask you this about that schitter-schifter whatever his name is feller. Whats worse a guy that sticks it to the folks with a hundred grand wortha fake charities or the DAMN politicians that stick it to us all and take trillions?!! The bankers and politicians are livin large, I tell you! All of those freaking fuggers are fakes!

Fugg em. Fugg em all where the sun don't shine!
Previous Topic: Exclusive! Demining photos, Croatia, Tenja - 2006.
Next Topic: How About That Cal Borel?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:52:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout