Home » Audio » Speaker » Optimum range JBL 2226
Re: JBL 2226 Usage [message #61790 is a reply to message #61789] Fri, 29 January 2010 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you on limiting cone excursion on mids and low xmax drivers using a high-pass filter, and wouldn't have suggested removing the high-pass if you were running any real power to the drivers.

What we have is competing priorities: Increasing the number of sound sources in the modal region is a good thing because it smoothes that range. This is why there is an advantage running the mids/mains all the way down as low as they'll go. But then there's the IMD/excursion issue, and you definitely don't want to push the driver close to xmax. If you need higher SPL, then it makes sense to high-pass the mids/mains because they'll likely see some power. To me, the balance is struck where power requirements don't exceed xmax at the lower limit of the mid/main passband.

Re: Optimum range JBL 2226 [message #61818 is a reply to message #61779] Tue, 09 February 2010 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne!

Steve (Brown)is going to build the Steve Bench tubed electronic crossover for me to use. I plan to have the frequency set at 800hz and use my McIntosh MC-240 amp on my JBL 2226J's(SS amp for summer time use to keep heat issues down), for the top end will be my 300B amp on Altec 299 (1 - 3/8") driver mounted on either a 500hz or 350hz Edgar round tractix horn.

I have used electronic crossovers in the past, but did not like the inclusion of SS sound into my mainly tubed system. So this will be my way of jumping back into bi-amping!

Do you know of anyone who has built those crossovers, and what did they think of the results?

Regards, Ron
Re: Optimum range JBL 2226 [message #61821 is a reply to message #61818] Tue, 09 February 2010 19:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A few guys from the forum have made them, and I think they were all pleased with the results. Hopefully some of them will chime in. It's been a while though, and I don't remember exactly who all built that circuit. I remember talking a lot with Sam P. about the crossover and power supplies for it. I Suppose I could go back through the E-Mails from the early 2000's and find some of the others.

I built a couple way back then, and thought they sounded good. I've made improvements since then though, so it's probaby worth dusting the boards off and trying them out again. I'm pretty sure my new passives are better because they've been optimized. But I could do the same thing with the actives. That's where you get the Nth degree, in my opinion, by dialing them in to place the forward lobe and the vertical nulls precisely where you want them. I used to do this with meticulous, time-consuming manual calculations and I still do that for initial crossover values but now I refine that with measurements.

Previous Topic: Can anyone help me find this line array elemnts.
Next Topic: Klipsch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:10:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout