Home » Audio » Speaker » Considering first line array build
Considering first line array build [message #61750] Wed, 20 January 2010 13:49 Go to next message
Captainobvious is currently offline  Captainobvious
Esquire
First post. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond Smile

Im considering building my first line array and I wanted to ask a few questions.

I would be building a 2 way system with mid and tweeter arrays. Im a big fan of the Tang Band W3-1364SA bamboo coned drivers, but they have an awefully limiting xmax at 0.5mm which makes them less desireable for this project. That said, the midrange driver I have been considering is the Dayton ND90. What would be the max center to center driver spacing while steering clear of comb filtering effects ?
Im trying to come to a happy medium where I can use fewer drivers to save money, while still achieving a good nearfield listening experience. My cieling height is 9' so at the 70% mark for boundary coupling, I would need a woofer array length of 75.6 inches (6.3 feet). If the absolute minimum driver spacing was used (3.5" OD), that would require 22 drivers per side. Shocked

I prefer to keep the midrange LP crossed around 4K as I like to keep the vocal range away from the crossover point. Is this realistic, or would I have to go with a lower crossover point?
Can fewer drivers be utilized to still accomplish the same goal?

Thanks for your responses.

Re: Considering first line array build [message #61758 is a reply to message #61750] Thu, 21 January 2010 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
selahaudio is currently offline  selahaudio
Baron
4K is too high for the crossover point. The best way to approach this is keep the spacing as close as possible and then run some measurements. If you use 20 or 24 drivers you can also drive the whole line without any tapering.
Re: Considering first line array build [message #61763 is a reply to message #61758] Fri, 22 January 2010 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Captainobvious is currently offline  Captainobvious
Esquire
Thanks for your response. Is 4K too high because of diminishing off axis response, or because of comb filtering?
Re: Considering first line array build [message #61764 is a reply to message #61763] Fri, 22 January 2010 09:42 Go to previous message
selahaudio is currently offline  selahaudio
Baron
Captainobvious wrote on Fri, 22 January 2010 09:10
Thanks for your response. Is 4K too high because of diminishing off axis response, or because of comb filtering?

It's a combination of both. What tweeter do you plan to use?
Previous Topic: Line array picture site
Next Topic: Can anyone help me find this line array elemnts.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:24:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio