Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? (4 Pi VS 7 Pi )
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61577 is a reply to message #61576] Fri, 18 December 2009 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's it.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61595 is a reply to message #61567] Mon, 21 December 2009 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
Gents, going to try the Pi 7 midhorns. Delta 10A ordered. Planning to cover the Pi 4 tweeter horn cut out and use the Pi 4 bass cabs with midhorn on top. Understand this is a deviation from Pi 7 design- will build correct bass cab at a later date.
JBL 4507 has tunable ports. What frequency is suggested to similate Pi 7 cab tuning?
Due to the very different dimensions of the 4507 cab, advice please for facing woofer to the rear or front? Try it and see?
Thanks, Ant.
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61596 is a reply to message #61595] Mon, 21 December 2009 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The seven π cabinet is tuned to 38Hz, same as the four π. JBL specs out 40Hz tuning, which is pretty much the same thing.

As an aside, most of my cabinets are tuned a smidge low, going for a slightly overdamped alignment. My goal is to have smooth rolloff that generally conjugates room gain and is also an easy blend for subs. It's a friendly alignment that is tolerant of electro-mechanical shifts from heat or high-output impedance. Also tends to keep the speaker from sounding thumpy in its early days when the suspension is brand new and still too stiff.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61615 is a reply to message #61596] Sun, 27 December 2009 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feket663 is currently offline  feket663
Chancellor
Dear Wayne! I'd like try the SevenPI cornerhorn, but I can't place the speakers in the corner. Can I use "false corner" like Klipsch recommend his cornerhorn? Recommended size?
And next: can you send me a SevenPI plans?
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61616 is a reply to message #61615] Sun, 27 December 2009 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

About a false corner, yes, you can do that but please remember that it has to be large to be effective.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61617 is a reply to message #61616] Sun, 27 December 2009 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks a fast reply. Another question: I have an about 13x16,5 feet room. If I place the corner the 7Pi-s will not be too far from each other? This room size enough for 7PI-s or need bigger room. Currently I have 4PI-s and I'm very satisfied with these speakers, but I'm curious the 7PI's magical, creamy midrange...
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61618 is a reply to message #61617] Sun, 27 December 2009 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The room size isn't the problem, I don't think. I would prefer them along the short wall though. If you don't have two good corners at each end of that wall, I would probably keep the four π speakers instead. You can put them just about anywhere.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61622 is a reply to message #61576] Mon, 28 December 2009 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Hi Wayne,
I did a rough build of a midhorn, to get a perspective on its size, and to see if I ran into any problems. I just made it with butt joints, using 0.75 in plywood. The butt joints don't meet flat, I guess because of the flare of the horn. I used the dimensions from the link I posted a few replies up. Does the full 7pi plans have more detailed construction of the midhorns? If so, I may need them.

Also, I will probably buy 7pi crossovers from you, but wanted to know what is the crossover point between the woofer and midhorn?

Here are 2 pics of my rough build midhorn.

Thanks,
Tom
index.php?t=getfile&id=130&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=131&private=0
  • Attachment: horn01.jpg
    (Size: 51.73KB, Downloaded 7575 times)
  • Attachment: horn02.jpg
    (Size: 57.48KB, Downloaded 7413 times)
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61624 is a reply to message #61622] Mon, 28 December 2009 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right about the butt joints, obviously you'd need to angle them if you wanted the edges flush with the throat plate. However, what you've done is fine, especially for a one-off build. Just assemble the horn with PL adhesive which expands to fill in the gap. Find a way to clamp it together while the adhesive sets up and then afterwards, file the seam of hardened glue to make the throat nice. Be sure the throat area is 4.5" square too.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61627 is a reply to message #61618] Mon, 28 December 2009 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 28 December 2009 00:52

The room size isn't the problem, I don't think. I would prefer them along the short wall though. If you don't have two good corners at each end of that wall, I would probably keep the four π speakers instead. You can put them just about anywhere.

Here is my room's schematic. Is this good place for the 7PI?
I do not want to put boxes on the opposite side of the room, because there is not enough the bass. I think the little part of room reduce the bass.
index.php?t=getfile&id=132&private=0

Sorry for quality...
  • Attachment: room.JPG
    (Size: 29.57KB, Downloaded 13204 times)
Previous Topic: Three Pi sub
Next Topic: 4Pi Plans please.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:00:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio