Home » Audio » Speaker » Wardsweb DIY horns (If you can't find it, build it.)
Wardsweb DIY horns [message #61487] Mon, 30 November 2009 22:55 Go to next message
wardsweb is currently offline  wardsweb
Baron
I finally complete my DIY horns after almost 4 years, Granted there was a 3 year break between building and veneering.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/Widgets/livingroom112909rightgrill.jpg

JBL 2235H woofer, Altec 511B horn wiht an 802-8G driver and a JBL 077 slot tweeter.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/Widgets/livingroom112809b.jpg

Veneer is sapele pommele in sheets large enough to do the entire sides in one sheet. The feet I machined from 3" billet aluminum.
Re: Wardsweb DIY horns [message #61488 is a reply to message #61487] Tue, 01 December 2009 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those look just stunning!

What did you use for a finish? I'm doing some speaker in bubinga and wanting a finish like a guitar. I've done teak oil, it's nice, this time maybe french polish. What finish did you use - it looks great!

Re: Wardsweb DIY horns [message #61489 is a reply to message #61488] Tue, 01 December 2009 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 01 December 2009 10:13

Those look just stunning!

What did you use for a finish? I'm doing some speaker in bubinga and wanting a finish like a guitar. I've done teak oil, it's nice, this time maybe french polish. What finish did you use - it looks great!

I did 8 coats of lacquer. Sanded to glass smooth and then sprayed two more coats. I'll wait a month for it to fully cure and then buff them out.

You can get the same look but easier using urethane.
Re: Wardsweb DIY horns [message #61490 is a reply to message #61489] Tue, 01 December 2009 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds good. Bill Epstein suggested that too, using a nitrocellulose lacquer. I guess the trick is to use several coats.

Re: Wardsweb DIY horns [message #61491 is a reply to message #61490] Tue, 01 December 2009 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Depending on your wood or veneer you may want to use a sanding sealer first. It will keep you from having to use so many coats to just fill the grain of the wood. A high gloss (piano) requires a glass like surface without voids or waves. Once it is sanded to 1000 grit you then polish it with something like 3M Perfect It. Its like buffing out an automotive finish.
Re: Wardsweb DIY horns [message #61493 is a reply to message #61491] Tue, 01 December 2009 19:07 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the tips. I'm an electronics guys, and can handle the crossover and acoustics stuff but the woodworking part is something I have little experience with. I look to guys like you and Epstein and Martinelli for advice on the make pretty stuff. And that's real important to me, after all, these are furniture as well as they are sound equipment.

Previous Topic: PROJECT: 200 to 900 Hz -- a successful solution
Next Topic: What Exactly Is A Waveguide?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:35:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio