Home » Audio » Speaker » enclosure uni project, and ideas?
enclosure uni project, and ideas? [message #61364] Tue, 10 November 2009 18:01 Go to next message
MojoRisin is currently offline  MojoRisin
Esquire

Hi,

Currently studying 4th year Music Technology in Scotland, and I am in the processess of my Honours Year Project.

For this project (24 weeks), I plan on investigating the effect Transmission Line Speaker and an Infinite Baffle Enclosure has on the behaviour and character of a 4" 15W driver.

I am using drain piping for the TL and had hoped to use Plywood or MDF for the Infinite Baffle.

I had planned to test the Frequency response and Sensitivity on and off axis and the Listening Window.

I am a total novice to speaker design and construction,therefore finding the information available a tad overwhelming!

So if you would, I'm just looking for any hints, tips and advice if anyone has any?

Cheers,

Siobhan Smile

Re: enclosure uni project, and ideas? [message #61365 is a reply to message #61364] Wed, 11 November 2009 19:08 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest four things:

1. Contact Martin King and see about getting his TL modeling software. He can be reached at www.quarter-wave.com.

2. Setup and learn acoustic measurement equipment, if you have not already done so. There are several inexpensive systems available, some are even free. One example is Speaker Workshop, available at www.speakerworkshop.com.

3. Understand the factors that contribute to directivity, particularly its relationship to the radiator and to frequency. Also understand room modes and how they affect sound in the listening environment.

4. Use this website to study these and other principles - the search feature is your friend.

Previous Topic: Choosing Tweeters and Midranges and woofers
Next Topic: 12inch full range driver in tl enclosure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:18:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout