Home » Audio » Speaker » Re: New Scan-Raal arrays
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61312 is a reply to message #61310] Sun, 01 November 2009 16:37 Go to next message
jtwrace is currently offline  jtwrace
Viscount
that's great! Let us know what you think of them....I will also be very interested in your comparison of the RAAL to the Founteks. I'm in that decision currently and look forward to your feedback.
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61313 is a reply to message #61310] Sun, 01 November 2009 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
selahaudio is currently offline  selahaudio
Baron
Nice work! I had talked to Aleksandar about that same unit and it's good to see one being used. How thick is the front plate to support those eight ribbons?

I think you'll find the Illuminator woofers to be much better for open baffle than the Eton drivers.
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61367 is a reply to message #61310] Wed, 11 November 2009 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtwrace is currently offline  jtwrace
Viscount
Jose,

What are your thoughts?
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61439 is a reply to message #61310] Sat, 21 November 2009 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas216 is currently offline  thomas216
Esquire
Very nice set up!

I am very interested in the open baffle line arrays. Can you provide your impressions of the differences between the open baffle arrays and the conventional box arrays. I realize
they are two different speaker systems, but I would believe some differences should be apparent since you are using the same sources and in the same room. Any opinion on sound stage width and depth, ambiance, spatial clues, compared to the box line arrays?
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61502 is a reply to message #61310] Fri, 04 December 2009 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
My mistake, I miss read your original post. I thought one of your systems was closed box and the other open baffle

Tom R
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61517 is a reply to message #61310] Tue, 08 December 2009 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Both monopole and dipole can sound very good so it really comes down to your preferences and if you have the right room for a dipole. There's a misconception that open baffle / dipole will always sound better. In reality, some open baffle designs can sound quite colored if not executed properly.
Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61537 is a reply to message #61310] Sat, 12 December 2009 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
OK - As room interaction effects all sound systems, I would assume a traditional closed ended room - back wall, and two parallel side would be optimum for a open baffle array? The speakers need the boundaries to create the stereo illusion?
Irregular shaped rooms are the wild cards, hard to predict how they will perform, till you try?

Tom R

Re: New Scan-Raal arrays [message #61543 is a reply to message #61537] Mon, 14 December 2009 09:03 Go to previous message
Baron
thomas216 wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 10:48
OK - As room interaction effects all sound systems, I would assume a traditional closed ended room - back wall, and two parallel side would be optimum for a open baffle array? The speakers need the boundaries to create the stereo illusion?
Irregular shaped rooms are the wild cards, hard to predict how they will perform, till you try?

Tom R

No particular type of room needed.
Previous Topic: What Exactly Is A Waveguide?
Next Topic: MTM horizontal arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:21:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout