Home » Audio » Speaker » help spend my money on an array project
Re: help spend my money on an array project [message #61297 is a reply to message #61295] Sun, 01 November 2009 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
At any budget level the final outcome will depend on selecting drivers that are highly compatible and designing an enclosure and crossover that optimizes their strengths. I've designed and built some "buyout" arrays that sounded pretty good considering the cost of the parts, and I've built a few that were complete disasters, but it didn't matter because none had more than $300 in parts. It was worth it for the learning experience, but for anything over $1K I ask the experts for help.

It would be tragic if you spent $10K+ only to find that the "system" you had assembled included some elements whose lack of compatibility resulted in sub-optimal performance. At that budget level any diy speaker pair you build should be a world class performer, at least as good as the most expensive commerical products out there and better than most.

An experienced line array designer will be able to advise you about which combinations of drivers / enclosure / crossover design will provide the best performance. Your cost for the completed design plus all parts (minus the enclosures) will be approximately equal to the retail price of the parts, so there's really no downside.
Re: help spend my money on an array project [message #61298 is a reply to message #61297] Sun, 01 November 2009 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtwrace is currently offline  jtwrace
Viscount
AudioFred wrote on Sun, 01 November 2009 08:14
At any budget level the final outcome will depend on selecting drivers that are highly compatible and designing an enclosure and crossover that optimizes their strengths. I've designed and built some "buyout" arrays that sounded pretty good considering the cost of the parts, and I've built a few that were complete disasters, but it didn't matter because none had more than $300 in parts. It was worth it for the learning experience, but for anything over $1K I ask the experts for help.

It would be tragic if you spent $10K+ only to find that the "system" you had assembled included some elements whose lack of compatibility resulted in sub-optimal performance. At that budget level any diy speaker pair you build should be a world class performer, at least as good as the most expensive commerical products out there and better than most.

An experienced line array designer will be able to advise you about which combinations of drivers / enclosure / crossover design will provide the best performance. Your cost for the completed design plus all parts (minus the enclosures) will be approximately equal to the retail price of the parts, so there's really no downside.

I agree. Just so you know I will be using an active crossover with the arrays bi-amped.
Re: help spend my money on an array project [message #61300 is a reply to message #61298] Sun, 01 November 2009 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you have access to a at least a 1/3 octave constant Q equalizer, a calibrated test mic, and computer software to measure the output? So you can adjust it to fit the exact needs of your room?

Marlboro
Re: help spend my money on an array project [message #61301 is a reply to message #61300] Sun, 01 November 2009 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Marlboro wrote on Sun, 01 November 2009 08:45
Do you have access to a at least a 1/3 octave constant Q equalizer, a calibrated test mic, and computer software to measure the output? So you can adjust it to fit the exact needs of your room?

Marlboro

my current crossover:
http://www.ashly.com/324clspecs.html
I use REW with a calibrated Naint mic.
Re: help spend my money on an array project [message #61302 is a reply to message #61301] Sun, 01 November 2009 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I should think you'd want to use something with a little higher quality that that old piece. Wink

Holy Electronics, batman! I bet that cost more than my entire system. You sure don't skimp on these things. Clearly you are not a lowly public school educator with a mortgage, either that or you won the lottery some time ago or Martha Stewart is your mother!

Marlboro
Re: help spend my money on an array project [message #61303 is a reply to message #61302] Sun, 01 November 2009 10:01 Go to previous message
Viscount
Marlboro wrote on Sun, 01 November 2009 09:52
I should think you'd want to use something with a little higher quality that that old piece. Wink

Holy Electronics, batman! Clearly you are not a lowly public school educator with a mortgage, either that or you won the lottery some time ago or Martha Stewart is your mother!

Marlboro

none of the above.
Previous Topic: Jamo (pronounced YA MO) PE buyouts
Next Topic: Determining Compatibility between components
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:01:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers