Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » plans for single frequency electronic crossover?
Re: plans for single frequency electronic crossover? [message #61244 is a reply to message #61242] Tue, 20 October 2009 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That may very well do the trick. Being a digital device, it must have the ability at least internally, since a filter is implemented as an algorithm. Whether or not you have access to the programming language to tailor the filters is the question, I guess.

As for the S&L system, it's both software and hardware. What I'm suggesting is essentially a Spice engine that allowed you to build an active crossover by emulating passive components, using the Spice circuit description language. That's what the S&L system does, but it is used specifically for making measurements, for emulating a passive crossover. I think it would be nice to have a similar device, but designed to be used as an active crossover with high quality digital and analog chips so you could use it in the signal path and expect good quality sound.

Re: plans for single frequency electronic crossover? [message #61246 is a reply to message #61244] Tue, 20 October 2009 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sounds like the kind of "put together" projects that were available in the Allied Radio Catalog back in the 1950's. I can still remember the smell of the paper. My uncle was a professor of electrical engineering at UMASS. He left some job where he was making $20000 a year in 1954 for GE in Philly, to take the assistant professorship at about $1900, in Amherst. He had all these catalogs to drool over, and later I used to drool over Heathkit.

Also sounds like the stuff my nuclear physicist son used to put together, though way more simple, of course.

Re: plans for single frequency electronic crossover? [message #61588 is a reply to message #61239] Sat, 19 December 2009 10:09 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Marlboro wrote on Mon, 19 October 2009 22:25

...Are my ears just too old? Just barely not as old as Fred, but from your pictures, way older than you. Wink

Marlboro

Hey, I'm not old, I'm seasoned:) Have you considered the Marchand XM1 kit? http://www.marchandelec.com/xm1.html
Previous Topic: Marshall AVT100 Problems
Next Topic: MAC MC2100 amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:03:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout