Home » Audio » Speaker » About to start building my ART Arrays
About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61182] Wed, 14 October 2009 14:19 Go to next message
dbishopbliss is currently offline  dbishopbliss
Chancellor
I've had the components since January and I am about to start building the enclosures this weekend.

I noticed Fred built a pair with centered drivers. Is there an advantage doing it this way?

I also saw that there is an updated crossover. I will go with the original crossover to begin with because I have the parts, but may look into building the alternative for comparison.

Anything else I should consider before I begin?

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61188 is a reply to message #61182] Wed, 14 October 2009 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What do you mean by centered drivers?

Marlboro
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61190 is a reply to message #61188] Thu, 15 October 2009 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
For the most recent pair I didn't offset the drivers on the front baffle. Most DIY speaker builders offset the drivers to reduce baffle edge diffraction, while most commercial speaker makers don't because of the added production and distribution costs. I've found it doesn't make enough differencet to matter, and it's simpler and more aesthetically pleasing with them positioned on the center line.
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61191 is a reply to message #61190] Thu, 15 October 2009 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So.... Fred,

We're talking about line arrays without a tweeter line? With a tweeter line, the center is an imaginary line down the edge of the 3 inch midrange speaker in my speakers, since I have a tweeter line.

I seem to think that I read somewhere that these baffle adjustments only make a difference for point source speakers but when you start lining up more than 8 speakers in a line source that the issues dissolve to smaller and smaller db loss until its below 1 db which is not hearable in music(maybe in single tones though).

Isn't here a piece of software that shows the loss with different numbers of speakers due to baffle effects?

Marlboro
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61194 is a reply to message #61191] Fri, 16 October 2009 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Marlboro wrote on Thu, 15 October 2009 10:12
So.... Fred,

We're talking about line arrays without a tweeter line?
Marlboro

Yes, this design has more compromises than most to get the parts cost down to $285. A tweeter array just wasn't possible. A short array of Dayton 3/4" neo's would have been nice, but that wouldn't work because the crossover would have to be too high for the 5.25" woofers. A single Fountek ribbon would have been nice too, but that would have increased the cost by about 50%.

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Speakers/132721_wacsQ#595276572_kM2i2
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61243 is a reply to message #61194] Tue, 20 October 2009 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Art Array isn't the only "budget" line array to incorporate a single dome tweeter.

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/content/product.asp?ProductID=27

Seriously, it's hard to imagine that a company would design such an expensive speaker and use a single dome tweeter instead of a tweeter array.
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61249 is a reply to message #61243] Wed, 21 October 2009 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fred,

Only the bass unit is a line array with 8 inch woofers and a heavy duty equalizer. The other speaker that looks like an array is NOT. It is an wmmtmmw where the "w" is a mid bass unit, and the "t" is a revelator tweeter with a "horn" type waveguide.

"...with four 5" Gryphon midbass drivers (two at the top and two at the bottom) and four of the 5" Gryphon midrange drivers originally developed for the Cantata (two directly above and two directly below the central high frequency driver).

"The legendary Scan Speak Revelator ring radiator high-frequency driver is modified with a 1 kg aluminum housing, designed by Gryphon for perfect time alignment and minimal diffraction."

Marlboro
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61250 is a reply to message #61249] Wed, 21 October 2009 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Got it. Too bad they didn't build a line array instead.
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61256 is a reply to message #61250] Thu, 22 October 2009 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mercbravo1 is currently offline  mercbravo1
Esquire
Hello all.
I'm new to the forum and to speaker building, but excited about the new hobby. I just completed the Zigmahornets as my first projet, and am now looking at tackling the ART Arrays. Like Fred I prefer the drivers centered and will also recess them into the baffle.

Fred, you mentioned on your smugmug pages adding an updated crossover designed by Pete Schumacher. Would you mind sharing the schematic? I've not built a crossover before, so this will be a new challenge.

Thank you

Nick
Re: About to start building my ART Arrays [message #61258 is a reply to message #61256] Thu, 22 October 2009 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You'll find the updated crossover schematic in this thread:
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=209376

The tweeter circuit includes a 1.2 ohm series resistor. I found a three or four ohm sounds better. I'm using a four ohm.
Previous Topic: Choosing Tweeters
Next Topic: Acoustic research
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:51:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout