Home » Audio » Source » Kenwood KD-500/Grace 707, Cartridge replacement suggestions
Kenwood KD-500/Grace 707, Cartridge replacement suggestions [message #60928] Sat, 19 September 2009 16:16 Go to next message
mightym is currently offline  mightym
Chancellor
Gentle people,
This is my cherry post. I have owned the above mentioned table/arm combo since the '70s. Purchased the bare table, and arm, had them mounted with a Sonus Blue cartridge. I played this table in my system through several amp/preamp combo's, and was always happy with the sonics.

During the '80s I got lazy and bought a linear tracking table which would lift the arm, ergo I didn't have to get up... I said I got lazy.

FF 25 yrs. I want my Kenwood back in the system. Problem is, I un-boxed it to find the tonearm not resting in the rest Sad , stylus destroyed(in a move most likely). Can't locate a replacement.

I would appreciate recommendations as to what I should look for which would give me similar sonics, and how to go about mounting a new cartridge. When I purchased the setup I had a high end shop handy to do the work for a reasonable fee. Now when you talk to anyone in a big box store about working on a turntable they look at you like you've grown a second head. Sadly there aren't any high end shops left 'round here, at least none I 'm aware of.

I hope this doesn't make me sound too lame, I just can't see buying the tools to properly mount and align a cartridge for only one use.

What say ye? ( today is ITLPD after all )

John
Re: Kenwood KD-500/Grace 707, Cartridge replacement suggestions [message #60929 is a reply to message #60928] Sat, 19 September 2009 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd look for a cartridge on NeedleDoctor.com. There are still plenty of good cartridges available at all price points. I am running a Rega Elys cartridge and I like it a lot. It is a mid-priced moving coil cartridge. Other good popular cartridges include Grado, Shure and Audio-Technica, among many others. I own an Audio-Technica cartridge in addition to the Rega, and I like it as well.

In the post below, you'll find some links that describe turntable setup. Hope it helps!
Re: Kenwood KD-500/Grace 707, Cartridge replacement suggestions [message #60932 is a reply to message #60928] Sun, 20 September 2009 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightym is currently offline  mightym
Chancellor
Wayne, it was certainly educational. Unfortunately I may now have more Questions than I had before....

I did find some info on my arm, and have begun to formulate an Idea of which way to look from here. Since this thing has been in storage for so long, I began to wonder after posting last night, if I might need to think about corosion issues, etc. too. Is there anyone in Tulsa ( or OKC, or Fort Smith ), who you know of, who will touch a turntable? For what it might cost would I be better off to start thinking about total replacement?

OT: I was perusing the LSAF Pictures recently, and found that my visage didn't cause the camera to malfunction afterall, there I was Fat, Dumb, and Happy in the middle of your couch...( at least I wasn't pulling a face ). I really did enjoy LSAF, and look forward to next year's.

John
Re: Kenwood KD-500/Grace 707, Cartridge replacement suggestions [message #60933 is a reply to message #60932] Sun, 20 September 2009 11:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the kind of stuff I usually do myself so I guess I've never had to look for a turntable tech. I'll tell you who I'd ask though - David Miller, 800-526-8879 or 918-664-6299. I think he'd probably know someone.

Previous Topic: Some turntable eye candy
Next Topic: Turntable runs at 34 RPM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:38:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout