Home » Audio » Speaker » Crossover Question about building line arrays
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #60981 is a reply to message #60892] Tue, 22 September 2009 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
selahaudio is currently offline  selahaudio
Baron
Wendall Evans wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 16:45
Since there are so many speakers involved does this give more crossover options?

Many people have different conceptions of where the crossover points should be handled in a line array. Also I've heard some people say that passive crossovers for line arrays are just too hard, and that people should only be thinking about electronic crossovers. What options are there for that and how expensive is that?

Sorry for all the questions but this seems to be a place where they might be answered by people who have actually built a line array.

TIA,

Wendall

Eric / Marlboro / Wendall?
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #60982 is a reply to message #60981] Tue, 22 September 2009 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wendall Evans is currently offline  Wendall Evans
Esquire
Huh?

Could you answer my questions, please? I'm confused about some of the things that Marlboro said. The last speakers I actually built were back in the 70'd from some company called Speakerlab in Washington I think. Maybe you remember them They had three ways with mid and tweeter horns. They were pretty neat looking too.

I would be please to have your point view in addition to his?

Wendall Evans
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #60991 is a reply to message #60941] Wed, 23 September 2009 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jp is currently offline  jp
Chancellor
Hello Rick
You say :""There are some options. DBX has a DSP crossover (DriveRack PA+)for $500. Built better than the Behringer and also has parametric EQ for baffle step and response contouring. I also have access to a 3-way DSP crossover that includes ICE amps. It's more expensive, but for $2,000 you have six amp channels and a DSP crossover""

Is the difference between Behringer and DBX worth the change ?
Tell us more about this 2000 $ 3 way DSP Crossover, it seems to be in between the DBX and DEQX , where to get it from and what's the make and model ?
Thanks
JP
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #60992 is a reply to message #60991] Wed, 23 September 2009 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
jp wrote on Wed, 23 September 2009 13:51
Hello Rick
You say :""There are some options. DBX has a DSP crossover (DriveRack PA+)for $500. Built better than the Behringer and also has parametric EQ for baffle step and response contouring. I also have access to a 3-way DSP crossover that includes ICE amps. It's more expensive, but for $2,000 you have six amp channels and a DSP crossover""

Is the difference between Behringer and DBX worth the change ?
Tell us more about this 2000 $ 3 way DSP Crossover, it seems to be in between the DBX and DEQX , where to get it from and what's the make and model ?
Thanks
JP

I've not compared the DBX and Behringer side-by-side but an earlier version of the DBX that I heard worked well for my customer. You probably could find some opinions on a pro audio site because that's where the two are primarily used.

The unit I mentioned is only available to OEM's as far as I know. There may be something available from Hypex that's similar but I don't know if it's in production yet.
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #61012 is a reply to message #60992] Thu, 24 September 2009 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
Rick what amplifiers are those you are referring to, that could be very interesting! I am currently using 3 crown xti2000's for xover and eq issues. They work great but are a little noisy.
Re: Crossover Question about building line arrays [message #61014 is a reply to message #61012] Thu, 24 September 2009 13:42 Go to previous message
Baron
justinc wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 12:57
Rick what amplifiers are those you are referring to, that could be very interesting! I am currently using 3 crown xti2000's for xover and eq issues. They work great but are a little noisy.

These are designed for OEM so you can't buy them from a retailer. They are sold to speaker manufacturers who program them and ship to the end user. I believe the Hypex units are similar but I don't know if they have a U.S. distributor.
Previous Topic: Bose Line Array
Next Topic: Widerange midwoofers, specs, and x-o pts...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:06:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio