Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just Loaded in 4 Pis (4 Pi Installation)
Re: Just Loaded in 4 Pis [message #80554 is a reply to message #80544] Mon, 22 September 2014 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, Vincent, I did move. Still in the process, to tell the truth. Paying for two homes, living in one, but straddling a little bit and still setting up. Not just trying to setup the home, but also the business, build new relationships with cabinet shops and machine shops, etc.

But I can't complain. My new home is in Bella Vista, Arkansas, which is just two hours from Tulsa. So I am able to maintain old relationships while building new ones. And family and friends are just a quick drive away. Plus, now I'm living in the Ozarks, which is incredibly beautiful. I'm living in a beautiful, scenic landscape and I literally have a waterfall in my backyard.

Are you still living in Japan?

Re: Just Loaded in 4 Pis [message #80563 is a reply to message #80554] Wed, 24 September 2014 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
Congratulations on the move, your new locale sounds very beautiful! I know you'll iron out the cabinet shop et. al. wrinkles. First things first.

Yes, I am currently in Tokyo.

There are still a lot of hi fi shops in Japan and many seem like vintage speaker museums focusing on horns. Of course new stuff is here as well. Speaker geek paradise.

While I was preparing to vacate my NY apt. -- it was so tumultuous -- I am not sure if we spoke, my father passed away. A tough period. I am lucky to have three amazing brothers and we were all able to help my father in the last few months leading up to his death. I am grateful for that.

I have not thought much about speakers since that time, except when using them for work. But no DIY nor browsing forums. It's only in the past week that I had some time to look at this forum and AK (I even forgot my passwords,) and saw all the great activity. The Pi forum is loaded with some amazing projects, dedicated, creative sound people here.

Unfortunately, browsing isn't always a satisfying experience. I happily missed out on most of the controversy regarding the AE TD12S woofers. However today, some old bookmarks took me to a thread wherein negative stuff was said about me, though my username was not mentioned. But that's what happens on the net. Some people are emboldened to say what they wouldn't in-person.

Lately I have been thinking about 6 or 7 Pi speakers, Definimax woofers, wooden hf horn. That's not a near term project as I don't have the right corners in the home presently. You know, there are still hi fi cafes here. Those speakers would be an awesome, elegant focal point in a venue like that.
Re: Just Loaded in 4 Pis [message #80570 is a reply to message #80563] Thu, 25 September 2014 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Welcome back! I agree with you about some of the negative comments that people so freely put out when hiding anonymously behind a keyboard.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Just Loaded in 4 Pis [message #80572 is a reply to message #80570] Thu, 25 September 2014 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I am so sorry to hear about your father passing. It definitely brings things into perspective, but I hate that kind of perspective. I was still in that "eternal youth" mindset until my dad died, even though I was nearly fifty then. But after he died, ever since then, I've been keenly focused on my own mortality and that of all those close to me. Now it's all about "life's too short."

Which is the perfect segue to the topic of the TD12S woofers. Don't sweat it. What we saw there was a small shop that really can't afford QC so stuff slips. But they can't let that show, so they reacted poorly. They've always had trouble with schedules and consistency. That's probably the curse of any job shop.

We don't use those drivers anymore as a result. The good ones are great, but we don't want to risk the disappointments people (like you) feel when they've waited for a pair of drivers for a year and they come out defective. Don't want the drama either. Life's too short.

Re: Just Loaded in 4 Pis [message #81598 is a reply to message #60888] Thu, 24 September 2015 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
This photo just came my way, thankfully not featuring my faccia brutta, but one of my former students using the speakers we all know and love. I am retired from that job now, but those monitors helped make my life easy teaching students music and post production sound. They provide accuracy in frequency response and dynamics and no fatiguing distortion, nor coloration. Critical when you are working long hours in a studio. Reliably judging EQ and mix levels is made easy. It's good when you forget the speakers are there. We used nearfield so called "sanity check" monitors very little. The WSDG room did not hurt of course. Great rooms and great monitors go together.

[L-R powered by Bryston 4B, Center by a Crown D75 strapped to mono.]

index.php?t=getfile&id=1823&private=0
  • Attachment: image.jpg
    (Size: 73.00KB, Downloaded 2449 times)
Re: Just Loaded in 4 Pis [message #81599 is a reply to message #81598] Fri, 25 September 2015 09:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the photo! Glad to see those speakers are still in the sound lab at the university.

Previous Topic: JBL 2226H Parameters
Next Topic: 4 Pi Build Progress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:02:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout