Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Karlson perfect pitch ?
Bad juju [message #64441 is a reply to message #64436] Fri, 22 October 2010 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No way, that's a bad combo.

One of the things that makes π magic is its uniform directivity. The forward lobe is nice and smooth, uniform in the horizontal and vertical planes. One of the requirements for this to occur is directivity must be matched in the crossover region.

There's no way to get this to happen with the Karlson design. It may be suitable as a sub, perhaps midbass for kick drum or something. But you definitely don't want it to be the midwoofer in a DI-matched two-way loudspeaker.
Re: Bad juju [message #64444 is a reply to message #64441] Fri, 22 October 2010 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feket663 is currently offline  feket663
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 22 October 2010 19:52

No way, that's a bad combo.

One of the things that makes π magic is its uniform directivity. The forward lobe is nice and smooth, uniform in the horizontal and vertical planes. One of the requirements for this to occur is directivity must be matched in the crossover region.

There's no way to get this to happen with the Karlson design. It may be suitable as a sub, perhaps midbass for kick drum or something. But you definitely don't want it to be the midwoofer in a DI-matched two-way loudspeaker.

Thanks for fast reply!
Karlson [message #64551 is a reply to message #64436] Sun, 31 October 2010 15:17 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
To give a basic answer to those curious on the Karlson cabinets, I have had the 1958 Popular Mechanics 12" Karlson for the last 8 years and it was a fun toy that worked well with drivers that were efficient, but did not go down far in LF response.

I now have a pair of Karlson K-15 cabinets and have tried several driver in them and I have to agree with posters on another forum that say the best use for the Karlson cabs is for bass and lead guitar players.

I found you don't need a really high quality driver for the K-15 design, it will play pretty good down low to below 40hz even with a economy driver.

I hate the fact that the midrange is squelched in this design. I like to listen to classical music and the violins were buried.

For rock and roll and pop music it might pass. But for the best performance I look elsewhere.

I just got these recently to satisfy my curiousity and I'm done with them now.

Ron
Previous Topic: 4pi plans
Next Topic: A Possible 2.5 PI?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 13:40:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers