Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi nearing completion. (3pi nearing completion.)
Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61093 is a reply to message #60912] Tue, 29 September 2009 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookietruck is currently offline  cookietruck
Chancellor
well, i've been listening to the 3pi for a week or two now. i have a decware preamp and decware SEP power amp, el84, 6watts.

the 3pi sound nice and even, in my room maybe a little bright on the top end (there is not much carpet in the room at all, hardwood floors, hard walls and ceilings).
even with the lower power tube amp these speakers have enough bass to energize areas of the room, this is noticeable walking around and something i could find almost no hint of from the 1pi towers. they sound to me to be voiced very neutral. just to compare i hooked up an old denon dra635 and the voicing was the same, still neutral and even.

presentation is pretty nice not far back but not real forward either. they image well too.
the eminence tweeter has good detail and is maybe just a bit harsh (could be the room or the fact that the 1pi had a soft dome tweeter and i just need to get used to the different sound).
the woofer sounds pretty good, not real detailed but it still sounds nice. i am considering upgrading to the TD12S but the eminence woofer is liveable so it will probably be a while before i do that upgrade...but the woofer will be the first driver upgrade.

overall i'm happy with the 3pi, i'm enjoying them enough to have not unhooked them to stain and finish yet.

Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61097 is a reply to message #61093] Tue, 29 September 2009 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm glad they're sounding good to you. Thanks for taking the time to report back. Smile

Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61334 is a reply to message #60819] Fri, 06 November 2009 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
enjoying listening to the 3pi, took a while to get around to finishing them. finally did. also added an ohm of resistance to the tweeter circuit...probably my room is pretty bright. was just enough to make the smallest change in voicing.

stained a red color then got a coat of amber shellac. wouldn't hurt to sand them down with a real fine sandpaper and adding another coat...

here is pic.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/4080529744_4fa288c38f_o.jpg
Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61335 is a reply to message #61334] Fri, 06 November 2009 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, now those are really gorgeous!

Your dog, popping up into the picture like that really cracks me up. That's a lot of fun!

I hope Epstein sees this. If he does, he'll have to post a new set of pictures of his cat. Muse is not to be outdone, you know.

Your amps look like Zens, are they? I can understand wanting a smidge less treble. The Zens seem to me to be voiced a little upward so if your room is bright too, I can sure understand wanting to tone it down a bit. As kits go, to my ears, the Bottlehead stuff is a little on the heavy side, the Zens a bit leaner. Audio Note sounds to me to run right down the middle.

Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61336 is a reply to message #60819] Fri, 06 November 2009 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
yeah they are decware amps. the taboo which is the 6watt SEP amp and an se84 preamp. yep, no lack of treble.
after adding just a bit of extra resistance everything is very nice sounding.
Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61337 is a reply to message #60819] Fri, 06 November 2009 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Very nice , Where is the port located on the back ?
Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61339 is a reply to message #61337] Fri, 06 November 2009 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

And on that same line, did you happen to model this cabinet with Martin King's spreadsheet, Hornresp or something similar?

Just wondering. I did that on the two π tower to find the best position for the woofer and port. Tall cabinets tend to have standing waves line up vertically in the bass range, so it's nice to be sure the port and woofer aren't on a pressure node. Otherwise you can have spikes in response.

Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61340 is a reply to message #61339] Fri, 06 November 2009 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
i tried to download kings spreadsheet but i think he took it offline, so i didn't model it. i put the port in the rear just in case i wanted to plug the current one and relocate it.

already forgot the cabinet dimensions Razz
i think it's 34" tall.

do you have a copy of the spreadsheet?
Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61341 is a reply to message #60819] Fri, 06 November 2009 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
actually. i can get a mic from my brother.
is there computer software that i can use to measure the response curve with?
is there a cd i can get that has a sweep so i could measure from 20-20k hz...
Re: 3pi nearing completion. [message #61344 is a reply to message #61340] Fri, 06 November 2009 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

cookietruck wrote on Fri, 06 November 2009 13:33
i tried to download kings spreadsheet but i think he took it offline, so i didn't model it. i put the port in the rear just in case i wanted to plug the current one and relocate it.

already forgot the cabinet dimensions Razz
i think it's 34" tall.

do you have a copy of the spreadsheet?

I do have a copy of the MJK spreadsheets, as I purchased a commercial license. It wouldn't be cool for me to give it out but I am sure Martin would send you a copy for this project if you asked him. I remember he took down the shareware stuff because he was getting miffed at commercial designers using his code and not paying license fees. But I seem to recall that he put it back up. At any rate, I suggest writing an E-Mail to him and telling him what you're wanting to do. Point to this thread if you want to. Martin is a real approachable guy and I'll bet he'd be happy to let you use his software for non-commercial DIY stuff.

cookietruck wrote on Fri, 06 November 2009 14:18
actually. i can get a mic from my brother.
is there computer software that i can use to measure the response curve with?
is there a cd i can get that has a sweep so i could measure from 20-20k hz...

Try Speaker Workshop. It's pretty good and it's free. There is a Panasonic capsule microphone amp schematic and tips in the Measurement forum that can help get you started. There's also a Speaker Workshop support forum on their site.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plans
Next Topic: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:06:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio