Home » Audio » Speaker » PR's question #1 (Inductor cores)
PR's question #1 (Inductor cores) [message #60757] Thu, 03 September 2009 13:30 Go to next message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
Hi, Everyone,

I am going to start asking some questions on ART, as I figure we have some pretty knowledgeable people around here! Hopefully I can contribute some useful information along the line, too.

Some but not all questions will concern speakers; this one does:

Does anyone here have a recommendation as to where I can find inexpensive powdered iron inductor slugs, with good saturation characteristics, maybe .375" to .500" diameter, 1.25" to 1.50" length. These are for inexpensive car audio tweeter crossovers, operating at modest power. A typical value would be .2 or .25 mH. Obviously, air core is "better" on distortion, but, cost, DCR, and size need to be kept down. (Iron core also tends to reduce but not eliminate problems that occur with value shift when an air core inductor is mounted near a steel part of a vehicle.) I do a lot of custom work, so I would hand wind these to whatever exact value needed. However, surplus inductors I could "unwind" a little if need be, are an option. Round "I" cores are an option, but I suspect simple slugs will be cheaper, in these values.

I do not need a lot of these: 100 would probably keep me busy for quite some time!

Thanks!
Paul

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: PR's question #1 (Inductor cores) [message #60761 is a reply to message #60757] Thu, 03 September 2009 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm wondering - would someone like Heyboer or any of the other transformer winders sell core material? Have you checked?

Re: PR's question #1 (Inductor cores) [message #60766 is a reply to message #60761] Sat, 05 September 2009 01:26 Go to previous message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
I'll try contacting Heyboer -- that's a thought.

I used to have a good contact in Don Kliewer, @ Winslow Industries, but he's passed away and I did not find much in a Google search to make me think the company is still around. Pretty much all that sort of thing, unless it's pretty high end, has gone to China...

Years ago I got samples from PermaCore, but I don't know if, these days, they'd talk to someone about small qtys., or not. I guess it can't hurt to try...

Thanks.

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Previous Topic: Words to describe the sound that speakers produce
Next Topic: Horns vs Arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 08:19:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio