Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4-pi box size !!!
Re: 4-pi box size !!! [message #60673 is a reply to message #60669] Tue, 25 August 2009 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL 2226 works pretty well in cabinets from 2.5ft3 to 5.0ft3 tuned to 38Hz. The thing is, when you change box volume, you'll naturally be forced into changing dimensions and port size and location. That will change the way standing waves line up inside the box. As a sub, it's generally not a big deal but when used as a full range speaker, this becomes pretty important.

What do you think about running subs?

Re: 4-pi box size !!! [message #60678 is a reply to message #60673] Wed, 26 August 2009 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feket663 is currently offline  feket663
Chancellor
Actually if the response go down to 40 Hz, this is enough for me. I will build an original size. Later i will build a sub, if necessary. Thank you for help and the patience.
Re: 4-pi box size !!! [message #60783 is a reply to message #60673] Mon, 07 September 2009 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Does the standing waves in the box affect the tone of the speaker or the sensitivity ??? Does the standing waves come back through the
cone ??? Ok I know, I ask a lot of questions. Thanks again and god bless.
Re: 4-pi box size !!! [message #60788 is a reply to message #60783] Mon, 07 September 2009 20:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Standing waves do have an influence, yes. They don't pass through the cone as much as they provide an acoustic loading for it, similar to the way Helmholtz resonance does. In fact, some speakers use this as a primary tuning mechanism.

Small boxes have standing waves at relatively high frequency, so stuffing is usually sufficient for absorbing them. The larger the box, the lower the frequency where standing waves form. Long, tall cabinets (like towers) also have pipe modes, i.e. standing waves. I used computer models on my larger cabinets and towers to help determine where to put the drivers and port so the internal standing waves didn't adversely affect response. I then verified this with acoustic measurements of a physical loudspeaker.

Previous Topic: Alpha-10 upgrade !!!
Next Topic: Subwoofer position with Seven Pi corner horns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:48:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio