Home » Audio » Speaker » Need suggestions for a lower range horn to mate with new Mid/High horns
An array of 8" mids [message #60373 is a reply to message #60372] Fri, 10 July 2009 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noviygera is currently offline  noviygera
Chancellor
I was just exploring that option after talking to McCauley tech support. By the way, their support is the best I've ever come across. I talked to (I think) David and he gave me tons of useful information regarding the basics of sound reproduction and speaker designs and capabilities. Gave me advice on my system. No sales BS, just useful information that is hard to get online in a systematic way. Like Wayne from Pi Audio, also very helpful.
So it's my duty to pay them my thanks.

The McCauley has no midbass horn in their product line. However I was advised to explore and midbass array as follows: three 8" mids as in here:
http://www.mccauleysound.com/product_overview.cfm?ID=2122

I can probably build something like this myself. The idea is to have limited vertical dispersion to match that of the horn at 600 Hz.

Question: will there be any problems caused by three 8" drivers covering 150 to 600 Hz as compared to a midbass horn with a single 8" or 10"?
Can we get away with a tall, narrow horn? [message #60618 is a reply to message #60373] Tue, 18 August 2009 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

I finally got to try the Hornresp with 9pi midbass parameters as a starting point. Indeed, a very useful tool, that brought me a wealth of information about horns, and clarity to what would have been trial and error, maybe lost time and money.

For example, I modeled the DDS 10n pro horn and contrary to what DDS told me the horn only works truly down no lower than 250Hz (and NOT 150Hz!) which is not good for my application.
I found out that for 200Hz in Half space the smallest horn mouth would be about 560 in sq.
Thanks for your advice!

I do have a question and it's more like a theory for a 600Hz crossover:

Lets say the HF horn is mounted above the MF horn.The vertical distance between driver centers of HF horn and MF horn is about 20" (for example, if the MF horn mouth is tall). Crossover point is 600Hz. Listening distance is 7 to 14 feet. Will the sound be coherent? Is the spacing too great to sound "right"?
So, let say I use a 36" high x 20" wide mid freq horn, rather than 20" high x 36" wide. I know coverage pattern is flipped. BUT! it's not a big deal if the horizontal and vertical pattern at 600Hz are pretty similar. Here some proof i found:
http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/MH_Series/MH690iE.pdf
this is a 90x40 mid horn.
on PAGE 27, look at the pattern numbers below 800Hz. The speaker is becoming less directional.

Why bother with this? So that we can flip the flat and wide midbass horn on its side and have a "friendlier" narrow but tall midbass that can be used as a floor coupled stand for the high horn. If the high horn is 18" wide, we can make the midbass 18" wide, and 36" high and get away with good coverage pattern (given crossover is below 600Hz) Or can we? Wink That why I'm asking if the resulting longer spacing between driver centers is a problem.
What do you think?

-Herman
Midhorns and boundary loading [message #60622 is a reply to message #60618] Tue, 18 August 2009 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 9π midbass and midrange horns were designed to work properly in true freespace, flown outdoors. When used indoors, you can usually use a smaller horn.

I've found that horns designed for use below 300Hz are able to get boundary loading in small rooms, even if not directly placed in a boundary. The simple fact of using them indoors provides something similar to boundary loading. I think it is partly due to the fact that the room influences directivity by being a constrained space, and perhaps also partly because of room modes. In a sense, that's saying the same thing, they're flip sides of the same coin.

I've found that boundary loading in small rooms is different than what a simple model can describe. Again, the reason is probably the combined condition of room modes and the fact that all the boundaries are affecting the horn, not just the closest ones. This is in effect saying the same thing, but to visualize the situation, I think it helps to picture what's happening.

The reason boundary loading works is really one of directivity, it's due to the fact that the room boundaries act as extensions of the horn. If in an infinitely large trihedral corner, then the radiation pattern could never exceed 90° so it is in effect a very large conical horn, with the loudspeaker sitting in its throat. A horn in the loudspeaker acts as part of the throat, setting the radiation angle at high and maybe mid frequencies and the walls of the room setting the angle at low frequencies. The same thing happens in quarter-space or half-space, but just with a larger radiating angle.

When you put a speaker in a room of finite size, the adjacent and opposing boundaries have an effect on the radiation pattern too. The larger the room, the lower in frequency there is an effect and if large enough, it's out of the audio passband, in effect, the same thing as outdoors. But that takes a really large room to act the same as freespace. The smaller the room gets, the more effect adjacent and opposing boundaries have on the radiation pattern, the energy distribution in the room.

The frequency that marks the upper end of the range where the room boundaries have this kind of influence is called the Schroeder frequency. Above that point, the walls still reflect sound but the standing wave modes formed by these reflections are grouped so tightly together you can't tell them apart. Above the Schroeder frequency, the acoustic field is said to be reverberent and below it, it's modal. The only real difference is the distance (in frequency) between modes, whether you can clearly define them or not, or if instead they blend into a continuum.

When a speaker is placed in a room, the walls contain most of the acoustic energy in the room. Some goes through the walls or out passages and some is absorbed but most stays in the room. This is, in effect, modifying the directivity of the loudspeaker, in fact, by quite a large amount. It is no longer radiating omnidirectionally or whatever pattern it would do outdoors. The shape and size of the sound field is controlled largely by the room boundaries, which hold it in. So a horn placed in a room is radiating into an environment that is (much) smaller than free-space or even half-space, and at frequencies below 300Hz, this translates into what works like boundary loading, even if the horn is not sitting in a corner or against a wall.

Pattern flip is an issue that happens at low frequency, below the point where the horn gains directivity control. At low frequencies, the mouth exit works like a diffraction slot. At higher frequencies, the wall angle sets the pattern. So if you make an asymmetrical horn, you may want to consider mouth dimensions to see if it is large enough to set the pattern in the desired passband.

There are competing priorities with regard to vertical spacing and mouth side. A taller horn will control the vertical pattern lower in frequency, but it will also cause the vertical nulls to come closer together. You'll want to make sure that the forward lobe is positioned where you want it to be and that the nulls do not fall where listeners might be. The position of the forward lobe, the upper and lower nulls and the secondary lobes are all set by the size, shape and position of the horns/drivers and by the crossover frequency and phase.

Re: Midhorns and boundary loading [message #60636 is a reply to message #60622] Thu, 20 August 2009 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

What I got out of the last post is that I will get a midbass horn and see what works in my room. But thank you for going in depth over the competing priorities. Though, it would be too difficult for me to predict how the room would interact with the speaker. Maybe there is software that does it all...
I narrowed my selection to two options: one is the DDS 10 pro, another a private copy of the EAW MR102L.
I have all the dimensions and driver specs and I modeled both horns in hornresp to see which one would perform better. Here is the result (half space):
index.php?t=getfile&id=51&private=0

The black curve is the EAW copy, the grey is DDS 10pro.

The DDS goes lower but it has some ripples in the responce, its a big horn, though being 34" deep!
The EAW copy "looks" better to me, even though it does not go a s deep it has a smoother response. It's smaller as well.

Any thoughts on which would work better in a basement space?
Thanks,
Herman

• Attachment: hornresp1.JPG
    (Size: 32.58KB, Downloaded 4169 times)
Re: Midhorns and boundary loading [message #60641 is a reply to message #60636] Thu, 20 August 2009 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both horns will have nearly the same response in small to medium sized rooms (provided driver breakup doesn't do weird stuff above 1kHz). The differences will be a little easier to notice outdoors. Even there, the biggest difference will be fullness of male voices and cello from the DDS pipe mode around 120Hz. Other than that, it wouldn't be night and day because while the sim results look pretty different, those DDS peaks are only about 3dB. Its lower frequency extension is about an octave lower because of that lowest pipe mode. Indoors, this is all irrelevant because room modes swamp the horn's pipe modes. The room modes will be getting closer together in the 100Hz to 200Hz range, blending in with the pipe modes of the DDS horn and sort of filling in the bottom end of the EAW horn.

Re: Midhorns and boundary loading [message #60645 is a reply to message #60641] Fri, 21 August 2009 09:00 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Once again, thanks for your input, Wayne. I will post my results with the new horn.
Previous Topic: using a wall of 15" woofers for bass.
Next Topic: Maggie in High Heels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 04:20:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout