Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » AIWA 8100 - impedance? (Something is confusing me about it...)
AIWA 8100 - impedance? [message #59334] Wed, 03 June 2009 07:43 Go to next message
Diaboy is currently offline  Diaboy
Esquire
One thing has always confused me. I know the impedance of the speakers I have connected to my amp must be the same or greater than that of the amplifier, but on the back of the AIWA it says

'A or B:4~16Ω/SPKR
A+B:8~16Ω/SPKR'

I always assumed that this means that each speaker needs to have at least 16Ω impedance rating? The way it says it just confused me a little. I got the whole thing for free but it didn't come with a users guide or anything. I get the impression it's quite an old model of amp, as I don't seem to be able to find any info on it.

By A and B it means the speakers, the amplifier can connect a par of speakers to output A and B, and then switch between the two or use both.

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong forum >.<
Re: AIWA 8100 - impedance? [message #59335 is a reply to message #59334] Wed, 03 June 2009 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Diaboy wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 07:43
One thing has always confused me. I know the impedance of the speakers I have connected to my amp must be the same or greater than that of the amplifier, but on the back of the AIWA it says

'A or B:4~16Ω/SPKR
A+B:8~16Ω/SPKR'

It means your amplifier can handle a load as low as four ohms, but not lower. So you can connect one speaker whose impedance is four ohms or greater, or you can connect two speakers, each of which is eight ohms or greater.
Re: AIWA 8100 - impedance? [message #59341 is a reply to message #59335] Thu, 04 June 2009 09:33 Go to previous message
Diaboy is currently offline  Diaboy
Esquire
Ahh I seee. That makes more sense; I'd been looking at the final number rather than both! Thanks a lot.
Previous Topic: Special Price for Dayton APA150 Amp
Next Topic: Group Build National Semiconductor amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:26:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout