Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Ann Coulter is right on the money as usual IMO.
Oops I did it again.... [message #59214 is a reply to message #59213] Fri, 16 March 2007 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry if I insinuated that he was a raging Democrat. I was trying to point out that his response is the kind of response one can normally expect from a Democrat.

Sorry Fred if I misinterpreted your response.

Re: Oops I did it again.... [message #59215 is a reply to message #59214] Sat, 17 March 2007 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No problem. This is the right place to disagree. Your point about Coulter's message being factual is correct, but it's still slanted journalism.

Adjectives like conservative and liberal mean different things to different people anyway. I consider myself a "conservative-leaning moderate", but one whose faith in conservative government has been so shaken by the arrogance and incompetence of the Bush team that I would vote for a Clinton/Obama ticket in the next election if W were running again them. I'm still a resistered Republican, but in the last election I voted straight Democrat except where the only candidates were a Republican and a Libertarian, in which case I voted for the Libertarian. The Republican party under the incompetent Bush government no longer represents the views of the average American, and we communicated this to him with their votes in the last election. The sad thing about this is that most of the people who voted for Democrats, like me, are really more conservative than liberal.

Ok then bare with me on this..... [message #59216 is a reply to message #59215] Sat, 17 March 2007 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think there is error in your thinking so let me try to explain. First let me say that I'm not ecstatic about Bush and never was. Basically I think that liberal policies are bad for the country (generally speaking now, ok?). So I don't want someone in office that try's to get along with the Liberals. I want someone in office that will fight liberal policies wherever and whenever possible.

So with that said. Although I'm not happy with Bush say 40% of the time, he is far better than any Democrat that I would be unhappy with 90% of the time. So the idea of "sending him a message with the last election results" is flawed in my mind. I would be screwing myself 50% of the time by voting for a liberal to "send a message".

Not to mention you have to look at the big picture. The President also appoints Supreme Court justices and judges. This is one of his most important responsibilities. Bush has done a fairly good job at this in my opinion. To send Bush or the Republicans a message by voting in a Democrat may allow that Democrat to change laws for years or decades to come when he appoints liberal judges. Just look at the 9th circus court in CA. Are these the type of judges you want? Would you be willing to put up with these activist judges for years because you didn't like Bush? Think about it?

So I think not voting at all or voting for a party you disagree with 90% of the time to send a message is only hurting your political beliefs and the country in the end. Not to mention that the Republicans in Congress may be exactly what you want in a congressman. To vote them out because you disagreed with the president seems flawed to me as well. What say you???

Re: Ok then bare with me on this..... [message #59217 is a reply to message #59216] Sun, 18 March 2007 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You believe this because you are a conservative. I'm not. I'm a conservative-leaning centrist. I believe both the current neocon philosophy and the leftist philosophy drive programs that do more harm than good, each in their own way. Stated another way, I am an economic conservative but a social moderate.

Re: Ok then bare with me on this..... [message #59218 is a reply to message #59216] Sun, 18 March 2007 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I should also mention I hope this isn't coming across as I belive I'm right and you're wrong. The opposite may be true, but after I have considered the issues I believe are important (and the ones that aren't) I believe a more flexible approach than the Republicans have taken or the ones the Democrats are proposing will better solve the critical problems we face: energy security, the environment, the excesses of big business, the heathtcare crisis, the war against terrorism, foreign trade, the exportation of American jobs, education, housing, unwanted pregnancies and abortion, gay unions, labor unions, affirmative action, etc.

Re: Ok then bare with me on this..... [message #59219 is a reply to message #59218] Sun, 18 March 2007 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well,

If I were to believe what you say, and I have no reason to doubt it, then it really doesn't matter which party you vote for because you would be unhappy with 50% of what they do. You describe yourself as a "conservative-leaning centrist". If this is true then you would be slightly better served by a Republican than a Democrat.

Sounds like Guiliani might be your man. He's not my cup of tea because he has several liberal stances but to each his own.

OT: Did you ever get a telescope? (nt) [message #59220 is a reply to message #59204] Tue, 20 March 2007 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: OT: Did you ever get a telescope? (nt) [message #59221 is a reply to message #59220] Wed, 21 March 2007 12:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Colinhester,

Actually no, I never purchased one. I looked into it for some time but never actually did it. Other projects got in the way. I still want one for me and my sons. We are planning on moving soon and after that I will start looking again. I do/did appreciate your help though.

Mr Vinyl

Previous Topic: Anna Nicole Smith
Next Topic: Cloak & Dagger at Wal Mart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:01:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers