Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Other Audio Forums
Other Audio Forums [message #59198] Fri, 09 March 2007 05:23 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't understand why some messages on other forums get so many responses they begin to take on a life of their own, while others get none or only a few and quickly fade from view. Of course this is especially true of those forums like Audio Circle where a response takes the thread back to the top of the list, but I still don't understand why some thread gets so much attention.

The thread that started with the message titled "Peomitheus Passive Preamp Anyone?" in the Circles' Audio Central forum, posted in September of last year, is up to 118 pages of responses. It has more than 30,000 views and has received 1,171 responses, keeping it on the first page of the forum almost every day! The original post said nothing different from the kinds of things any owner would say about a new acquisition.

Re: Other Audio Forums [message #59199 is a reply to message #59198] Fri, 09 March 2007 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've noticed that too. People definitely have a herd instinct, and once some attention is gathered, it's like piranha in a feeding frenzy. Even if all relevant information has already been said, people have a tendency to want to pile on and give their 2¢. Sometimes you see the very same things said over and over and over again.

Another one like that is the hot potato that everyone is interested in. Someone says something difficult or controversial, and everyone seems to want to say something, but they don't want to get into an escalating conflict. So the post sits for a long time, and then gets its first reply. After that, the exchange builds slowly but pretty soon everyone wants to give their opinion. Those are very often the kind that turn into 100-post threads.

Sometimes the group dynamic is as interesting as the discussion.

Re: Other Audio Forums [message #59200 is a reply to message #59199] Fri, 09 March 2007 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The best so far is the "Gravity Well of a DarkStar" on the Red Wine Audio circle. It's up to 96,000 views and 1,319 responses.

Re: Other Audio Forums [message #59201 is a reply to message #59199] Sat, 10 March 2007 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Posts that criticize and/or insult another person or their products often start a feeding frenzy, with people taking sides and repeating the same thing over and over and over. The current champion at this time is "A response to misleading information posted on Zaph Audio forum" on the GR Research forum. It was posted only a few days ago (March 2nd) and it's up to 28 pages with 7,500 views and 270 responses. Danny posted it, and interestingly John "Zaph" Krutke hasn't responded once, yet it keeps going. I'm sure Danny intended only to offer a different opinion, but it seems like a good way to draw attention to his forum and sell more speakers too.

I could post a controversial message on the Pi Spekers forum and see what happens. How about "Pi Speakers Suck", and in the text I could pick a brand and post a bogus message about how the other brand is better. I could even use reviewspeak terms like "authoritative bass", "liquid midrange", "smooth and sparkly treble". Or I could say going from the Pi speakers to brand X is like "lifting a veil".

But you would probably move the thread to the Dungeon:)

Re: Other Audio Forums [message #59202 is a reply to message #59201] Sat, 10 March 2007 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I am adamantly against that sort of thing, building traffic "Jerry Springer style". ART was formed to get away from that kind of place. I would rather have a post with a single reply containing useful information or at least friendly comments than a hundred replies of nonsense and ad hominem attacks. Even if the longer thread brings more traffic, I'd rather take the high road. That's what ART is all about.

I have always been pretty lucky about not having problems with horseplay or unfriendly sockpuppets and shills on the π Speakers forum, but I have had one or two over the years. I just delete them on the rare occasion that they pop up. If someone has a legitimate complaint, we can usually resolve it and those kinds of posts aren't deleted. But if it's horseplay, like Magnetar saying something about your mother or Romy the Cat saying some unrecognizable nonsense with racial slurs and insults mixed in, that gets deleted.

Personally, I have no respect for a website owner that allows that kind of stuff just to build traffic. I know some folks like that, and I don't want to have anything to do with them. Public mesageboards aren't a local bar where you can hang out and cut up in relative privacy with a few of your friends. Internet discussion forums have very high traffic and comments made in them are permanent.

Re: Other Audio Forums [message #59228 is a reply to message #59200] Sat, 05 May 2007 17:03 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
One that used to bother me was the "Last Post wins" type of threads. Usually found in the off topic areas.

Then I realized that these type of posts cut down on the "me too" posts in legitimate threads and also cut down on thread "crapping" by individuals that had nothing productive to say otherwise.

So I have since "gotten over it" so to speak.

Previous Topic: James Tabor - "The Jesus Dynasty"
Next Topic: Should Censorship Prevail?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:57:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout