Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » James Tabor - "The Jesus Dynasty"
James Tabor - "The Jesus Dynasty" [message #59195] Wed, 28 February 2007 13:04 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I saw an ad today for the Discovery Channel presentation that will be aired Sunday about the bones found some 20 years ago that some say might be the bones of Jesus and Mary. I'm always fascinated by legitimate research into the historical Jesus. After a little checking around, I don't think the Discovery Channel presentation offers much in the way of good science, more just promotional fun pseudo-science stuff, like what's in Dan Brown's books. But it did lead me to find James Tabor's website, which I do find interesting.

Re: James Tabor - "The Jesus Dynasty" [message #59196 is a reply to message #59195] Wed, 28 February 2007 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa is currently offline  Melissa
Viscount
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/26/world/main2514360.shtml

This the link to the CBS news program about the documentary James Cameron, is doing. Jesus bones found---

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/02/26/jesus-tomb.html?ref=rss

this one above is CBC news about the same documentary.

Looks really interesting. From the part of it I saw he says the odds that this group of people with the names placed with the bodies, that the odds of them being a whole different set of Jesus, Mary, Magdalene, ect... are astronomical that by that alone is some sort of proof.... who knows will have to watch the entire documentary to form an opinion.

Jesus' bones [message #59197 is a reply to message #59196] Thu, 01 March 2007 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This kind of thing is so interesting to me. But to be very honest, I think the names Joseph, Jesus and Mary were very common. I think there were probably dozens of families with husbands, wives, sons and daughters having those names, so I wouldn't think it all that unusual finding ossuaries with common names grouped together.

Re: James Tabor - "The Jesus Dynasty" [message #59227 is a reply to message #59196] Thu, 26 April 2007 19:33 Go to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
This is my first venture into the Dungeon. And this isn't what I expected to find.

Anyway, I missed that documentary. What were your impressions?

I did see someone on televesion before the documentary making a case for the unlikelihood of there being more that one person whose relatives fit exactly that pattern of names. Two potential problems came to my mind:

1. It looks to me like the family relationships were inserted by the authors, and not spelled out on the artifact itself. So saying "what are the odds of there being a guy named Jesus with a mother and a wife both named Mary, a brother named this and a sister named that..." may have been intentionally self-serving if the artifact did not make it clear what the relationships actually were.

2. I read in a book by Lawrence Gardiner that Mary (or Miriam) was a title within the Essene system, and not necessarily a person's actual name - sort of like "son of David" was a title rather than literally true about who Jesus's father was (Gardiner has an interesting theory about the identity of Joseph of Arimathea, but that's another topic). If this is correct, the name/title "Mary" may have been an indication of affiliation with the Essenes rather than an actual given name. I seem to recall a surplus of Marys in the New Testament, to the point that one is even called "the other Mary". Now if (as Gardiner postulates) the Essenes used old testament names as titles, it might be possible that such name/titles would show up in other Essene communities or families - making the finding of such a cluster less remarkable.

That being said, it would be neat if they do find some connection, some actual evidence, even if it shakes our belief systems up a bit.

What I wanna know is, what kind of basshorns did Joshua use on the walls of Jericho? And did he use a Welti configuration, a circular array, or something else??

Duke

Previous Topic: Absolutely horrendous
Next Topic: Other Audio Forums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:15:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers