Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Scary?
Scary? [message #59180] Thu, 01 February 2007 21:38 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I heard this story yesterday, and wondered what I was missing. Thought about it, kicked it around with friends in the office. Now after a day of thinking about it, I'm still left with the same amazed question:

What in the hell is scary about this?

Tracy O’Connor, 34, a retail manager, called the police response “silly and insane,” contrasting it with that in other cities where no one reported concerns about the devices — an advertising gimmick for the Cartoon Network show “Aqua Teen Hunger Force.”

I'd have to say I agree.

“We’re the laughingstock,” she said.

Uh, yeah.

Well, maybe not everyone in Boston, maybe not the majority of people or the city. But as for the "public safety officials" - I'd say, yep, they missed the boat. Go catch bad guys. They aren't cartoons. Those are little silly things. Bad guys usually steal shit and kill people, stuff like that.

Maybe if "public safety officials" around this country got more concerned with public safety and less concerned with raising revenues, they could tell the difference between cartoons and bad guys. It isn't the beat cops that are clueless, it's their bosses and mid-level jerks that do BS stuff like this. They're the ones that setup "spot checks" for seat belts and stuff like that. They tell you it's for "public safety" but what it's really for is an added tax. Brings in more bacon. Evidently, it rots their brains too.

I think the little cartoon guy needs to be the new mission statement for everyone, to remind us all that we've let the "public safety officials" go too far. Get 'em all out of office and start over, they've all gone coo-coo for cocoa puffs.

Re: Scary? [message #59182 is a reply to message #59180] Fri, 02 February 2007 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yep, I don't know how they could mistake it for a bomb, it looks more like something from a kids Litebright set.

::They're the ones that setup "spot checks" for seat belts and stuff like that. They tell you it's for "public safety" but what it's really for is an added tax.

That's my conspiracy theroy, the cops,lawyers and judges are all in cahoots with each other to make money off us poor working class. Guilty until proven innocent.

Re: Scary? [message #59183 is a reply to message #59182] Fri, 02 February 2007 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory because that makes it sound kind of wacko. The truth is, these kinds of revenue pushes are not uncommon at all. I'm sure you remember the small towns on highways 69 and 75 that were found to have abnormally high revenues from tickets. In one case, 72% of a town's revenue was from tickets. They set their borders along the highway, and make abrupt speed limit changes with poorly marked signs. It's done solely to generate revenue.

If an effort is made to increase revenues by asking police to write more tickets, isn't that a tacit commandment for increasing tax upon a population? I mean, if safety is desired, wouldn't it be best to enforce the law equally, at all times? To me, this is reprehensible and should not be abided.

Own a piece of "history." [message #59186 is a reply to message #59180] Mon, 12 February 2007 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
He ya' go......

Re: Own a piece of "history." [message #59187 is a reply to message #59186] Mon, 12 February 2007 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force promotional sign sold on eBay after the Boston "scare"

I heard those things were selling on eBay. Kinda funny. Now if we could just get them to sell the badges of the guys in Boston that made the fuss. If someone is made accountable, I think it should be the public officials that reacted to this as a "possible terrorist threat" rather than reassuring the public like they should have done.

Are you kidding? [message #59188 is a reply to message #59187] Mon, 12 February 2007 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The Cartoon Network couldn't buy that kind of publicity. The million dollar fine was a bargain....

Unintended consequences [message #59189 is a reply to message #59188] Tue, 13 February 2007 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right about the publicity, it definitely increased as a result of this "scare". So perhaps the cartoon network benefitted from that. Either way, I think this is a case of public officials reacting in a stupid fashion and then blaming the public for it.

Re: Unintended consequences [message #59190 is a reply to message #59189] Tue, 13 February 2007 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This "stunt" was performed in 9 cities before the Boston scare. Kinda makes me wonder if this wasn't a set-up to gain some free TV time.....C

Re: Unintended consequences [message #59191 is a reply to message #59190] Tue, 13 February 2007 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You mean, you think someone in the Boston city government was in cahoots with the Cartoon Network, and they set up the "scare" as a publicity stunt?

Re: Unintended consequences [message #59192 is a reply to message #59191] Wed, 14 February 2007 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Do you think the Bostonian powers-that-be are really so stupid as to believe this was a threat?

Previous Topic: Lisa Nowak
Next Topic: Anna Nicole Smith
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:46:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout