Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Food for thought....
Food for thought.... [message #59173] Wed, 03 January 2007 13:42 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

I got the following in a e-mail. I can't verify anything and don't pretend to know who the author is so take it for what it's worth. Just thought it would make for some interesting discussion here since things have been so slow lately (what happened to Manualblock? Did I miss something?). Anyway for your enjoyment:

Weather Bulletin - Denver

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the " Mile-Hi City ", we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.
FEMA did nothing.
No one howled for the government.
No one blamed the government.
No one even uttered an expletive on TV.
Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.
Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.
Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.
CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this
category 5 snowstorm.
Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.
No one looted.
Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.
Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.
No Larry King, No Shepard Smith, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.
Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.
The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.
Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.
Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.
We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.
We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".
We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.
Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.

Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a living.

Re: Food for thought.... [message #59174 is a reply to message #59173] Thu, 04 January 2007 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I noticed on TV that National Guard helicopters are delivering hay bales to stranded cattle. Man, we gotta stop that!

Re: Food for thought.... [message #59175 is a reply to message #59174] Thu, 04 January 2007 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The quote is an appeal to our core American value of self reliance. I doubt anybody who has done any serious and objective thinking about this would disagree about the importance this value has played in our success as a nation, or about the failure of all the 1960's style liberal welfare programs that were based on a value of collectivism instead of individualism. Unfortunately, it naievely suggests that self reliance is the answer to all our social problems. I disagree.

"Unfortunately, it naievely suggests that self reliance is the answer to all our social problem [message #59176 is a reply to message #59175] Thu, 04 January 2007 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Actually it says that it might solve 90% of the problems.

Re: "Unfortunately, it naievely suggests that self reliance is the answer to all our social pro [message #59177 is a reply to message #59176] Thu, 04 January 2007 07:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good point. Not sure what the % is, but I agree that a strong emphasis on the value of self reliance would make a big dent in our social problems and should underpin any govt programs aimed at addressing our social ills. This was the basis of the welfare reform program a few years ago.

Previous Topic: Anyone care
Next Topic: Why I am not purchasing from MagneQuest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:43:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout