Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Wiretapping By Feds Is Ruled Unconstitutional
Wiretapping By Feds Is Ruled Unconstitutional [message #59049] Thu, 17 August 2006 12:22 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; a federal judge in Detroit has put a stop to the snooping on citizens by the government. America; you got to love it.

For Some Real Analysis . . . [message #59050 is a reply to message #59049] Thu, 17 August 2006 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Follow the discussion at The Volokh Conspiracy, a legal blog, starting with the post linked below. We'll see.

Re: For Some Real Analysis . . . [message #59051 is a reply to message #59050] Thu, 17 August 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice link E; A cursory reading; international or border crossing search is a no-brainer; it is like they say; if you can be searched at the border than communications are implied in that same doctrine.
I am reading the case record but it is long. While that is onging allow me to present the arguments made for the same reasons back in 1970 and the Nixon administration. No terrorist organisations were even searched just anti-Nixon groups.
Thats my complaint.
Back to the case law.

Re: Wiretapping By Feds Is Ruled Unconstitutional [message #59052 is a reply to message #59049] Thu, 17 August 2006 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I dont see anything wrong with the feds spying on people

Re: Wiretapping By Feds Is Ruled Unconstitutional [message #59053 is a reply to message #59052] Thu, 17 August 2006 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Always worked for Joe Stalin. Lot of successfull dictators find it to be very usefull. The guy that just died; Stroessner; from Argentina; he was able to acquire all his torture victims that way. Very effective.
If it works don't knock it.

Sweet! [message #59054 is a reply to message #59049] Thu, 17 August 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
though I was not expecting to see such good sense from Detroit. First good thing I've seen the Criminal Liberties Union supporting in a while.

If only those SOB's would refrain from hobbling folk who're dealing with illeagal immigrant legislation.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Sweet! [message #59056 is a reply to message #59054] Thu, 17 August 2006 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am not sure but I would assume Detroit was handpicked as a court that would be freindly to the cause for the ACLU.

Re: So it really boils down to executive priveledge [message #59060 is a reply to message #59051] Thu, 17 August 2006 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Using the State Secrets Defense bars the entire action. Is that correct? Also do you know what the Youngstown Issue is?

Wash Post: "A Judicial Misfire" [message #59061 is a reply to message #59049] Fri, 18 August 2006 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I rarely agree with the Post, but I do agree with many points made in its editorial today, "A Judicial Misfire." Whether the result ultimately proves right or wrong, the entire opinion is amateurish. If a junior associate, or a judge's law clerk, produced work product like this, he/she would be put on warning or terminated. It's also demeaning to the federal judiciary to look so blatantly partisan.

In the end, the chief victim of the decision is going to be the judge's reputation, not the administration.

Re: Wash Post: "A Judicial Misfire" [message #59062 is a reply to message #59061] Fri, 18 August 2006 08:33 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes but it has accomplished what we wanted. If you follow the developement of this situation the Administration has always tried this case in the media but has been very reticent to actually involve the courts. Now they must be hauled into the eye of the court and argue their case where it counts and answer for their conduct in a forum more serious than the media.
Thats the positive outcome from this ruling. The Judge is irrelevant here in my opinion.

Previous Topic: Crop circle
Next Topic: Now here's an interesting story
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:37:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout