Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Australia
Australia [message #58899] Mon, 17 July 2006 15:55 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Anyone aware that it is a crime in Australia if you do not vote on election day? Its a fact; 100 Aus dollar fine. On election day its considered a national holiday and all business and public work is halted. The polls are open all day and the names of the voters are monitored for non-compliance. We need this.

Freedom of Association? [message #58900 is a reply to message #58899] Wed, 19 July 2006 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
OK, MB, I'll bite.

I'd guess there's a pretty good argument that such a law in the US would be unconstitutional -- unless, perhaps, the voting options included the right to cast a ballot that said, in effect, "I choose not to vote." Freedom of speech generally includes freedom of association, and freedom of association generally includes freedom of non-association -- that is, I have the right not to associate with (i.e., not to be linked to in such a way as to appear to agree with or endorse) any person or group I don't want to associate with. If you make me vote for a candidate -- or even if you make me vote for anyone (via a write-in ballot) -- you are arguably forcing me to associate with that person.

Having just written the above, I then surfed around a bit. There does indeed seem to be a suggestion that mandatory voting would be unconstitutional unless an "NCA [No Candidate Acceptable] option" were included. Here's an article by John Dean (of all people).

Re: Australia [message #58901 is a reply to message #58899] Wed, 19 July 2006 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, I express my political opinions by not voting.
If I would be forced to vote, then I`d probably just draw a big fat dick on the voting leaflet.

Re: Australia [message #58902 is a reply to message #58901] Wed, 19 July 2006 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not voting is not an opinion; it's a capitulation. Giving up is never the best option. People get the kind of govt they deserve. Defacing a voting booth is a crime.

Re: Freedom of Association? [message #58903 is a reply to message #58900] Wed, 19 July 2006 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I can't argue with that E; it is very obviously true and that argument has been brought up whenever the mandatory voting issue is addressed. So whats wrong with a Constitutional amendmendt regarding the vote? They are proposing all kinds of other frivilous and irresponsible amendmendts such as flag burning and same sex marriage; why not use the amendmendt process for something of value?
To require that the people of our country that is conditioned on the vote to vote seems a pretty reasonable issue to persue.
What do you think?

Re: Australia [message #58905 is a reply to message #58902] Wed, 19 July 2006 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, you can think that only right path for EVERY citizen is to vote for party A or B, whatever suits best to your middle-class interests.
I don`t think that way.

Re: Australia [message #58906 is a reply to message #58905] Wed, 19 July 2006 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Then write in your candidate of choice. You still have the obligation to participate as a citizen.
Australia has a very solid and respected government. Most of the world finds them to be good allies and fairminded people. Maybe their participation and the serious manner in which they take their government and their responsibilities is why.

Re: Australia [message #58908 is a reply to message #58906] Wed, 19 July 2006 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have no obligation to participate in anything, especially in a way you fantasize.
And I have many relatives in Australia who don`t share your opinions about their government.

Re: Australia [message #58909 is a reply to message #58908] Wed, 19 July 2006 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why are your relatives in Australia? And my friend we must agree to disagree on participationn. I believe it is our duty to be part of our government. If you are not a voter then you are a victim instead of a citizen.
I don't like to be anyone's victim.

Difference between Dictatorship and Democracy [message #58919 is a reply to message #58909] Sat, 22 July 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
...is, Dictatorships don't waist time voting.

Previous Topic: Ralph Reed; End Of The Christian Right and Power?
Next Topic: Syria
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:06:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout