Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Most Difficult Job
Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58898 is a reply to message #58894] Sun, 16 July 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Listen T; my brother-in-law did eight years in subs. He said the whole culinary thing is BS. What really happened was they would re-supply in port then set off on their run which was classified and unknown to anyone except the captain. Three days out from shore the fresh supplies would begin to run out. By the end of the second week it was powdered milk and eggs and frozen dinners. That whole filet Mignon thing is made up.
The worst part is they have really no medical staff on board. Just a corpsman who is trained in emergency medicine and first aid. They aren't allowed to surface for any reason. So if you had a serious illness like burst appendix you were in hot water.
He eventually was asked to disembark due to a prohibition on gambling on board. Since there wasn't anything to do they would play cards. Guys would lose an entire three months of wages and return from sea broke to their very upset wives and families. He did well though and managed to sock some cash away for a rainy day.

Family Counselor [message #58904 is a reply to message #58884] Wed, 19 July 2006 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Only half kidding. I did this for several years before reentering the corporate world. Requires a lot of education, licensing, on-going education, etc. Requires personal risk (been physically threatened many times). Reqiures courage and high stress - try talking someone through suicide attempt at 2:00 in the morning. And takes tons of dedication since most people you see have already decided they want out, and are only there to prove they're "dedicated to the relatioinship".. right. At any rate, I toss in my prior career as a candidate for consideration.

Re: Family Counselor [message #58907 is a reply to message #58904] Wed, 19 July 2006 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I agree. That kind of work requires extreme insight; ability to think on your feet; the ability to modify your judgements without prejudice; the ability to empathize and to adopt significant personal responsibility for other peoples emotional baggage.
The stress and the 24 hour nature of the work is draining and can draw the strength right out of you.
Not for everyone; and most couldn't do it if they wanted too. ( At least not in any proffessional capacity.) They get very little respect for their devotion; and the guys out there on the golf course doing business; or the guys in the technical fields doing their 9-5 probably would evacuate in their draws if they ever had to do this work.
Kudo's to you for giving it the years you did.
You know anyone can be trained to do a job. Not many can be educated to learn and adapt to constantly fluctuating working paradigm's.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58911 is a reply to message #58884] Thu, 20 July 2006 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
THe one you, the employee, hates the most.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58912 is a reply to message #58911] Thu, 20 July 2006 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why's That? What if the job is very demanding but you love it; like Nuerosurgury or Formula 1 race car driver?

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58913 is a reply to message #58912] Thu, 20 July 2006 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Then it;s not difficult! It;s easy.
-akhilesh

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58914 is a reply to message #58913] Thu, 20 July 2006 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Funny way to approach this whole concept. Do you really suggest that doing a very difficult job becomes easy because you like it? How exactly does that work?
I mean I would understand it if you mean't that because you enjoy the work it is not a burden to you even though it is really demanding; but that still doesn't make it easy. It is just as hard as if you didn't like it, you just feel better doing it.
But it's still hard.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58915 is a reply to message #58914] Fri, 21 July 2006 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,

Definition of difficult:
dif·fi·cult Audio pronunciation of "difficult" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (df-klt, -klt)
adj.

1. Hard to do or accomplish; demanding considerable effort or skill; arduous: “To entertain is far more difficult than to enlighten” (Anthony Burgess). See Synonyms at hard.
2. Hard to endure; trying: fell upon difficult times.
3. Hard to comprehend or solve: a difficult puzzle.
4. Hard to please, satisfy, or manage: a difficult child.
5. Hard to persuade or convince; stubborn.
----------------------
YOu are going by definition 1, I am going by definition 2. Therein lies the argument.
BTW, the example in definition 1, very apt, no?
-akhilesh

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58916 is a reply to message #58915] Fri, 21 July 2006 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi AK; Definition 2 says "Hard to endure", that looks like it re-inforces what I said, no?
Anthony Burgess is a really bright guy; I liked "Clockwork Orange" myself. He invented a whole language with grammatical rules and structure for that film.
But we digress; what is your definition of a difficult job; and I already heard the answer; "The one you are doing now."
I admire those who toil in really trying circumstances on a daily basis; I don't think they get enough recognition for their efforts. So I start this little thread to give people a chance to vent.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58917 is a reply to message #58916] Fri, 21 July 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"Definition 2 says "Hard to endure", that looks like it re-inforces what I said"
Actually, I thought you meant defn one. one could have a challenging job that one likes, and which is hence not difficult to endure (or tolerate). Which takes us back to what I said. Hence my assertion: I am talking about defn 2, and you are talking about defn 1.

-akhilesh
PS I liked CLockwork Orange. It;s interesting, though very very bleeding heart liberal.

Previous Topic: Syria
Next Topic: What Sucks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:14:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout