Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Most Difficult Job
Most Difficult Job [message #58884] Fri, 07 July 2006 10:18 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am wondering what is the most demanding and difficult carreer. The one way of making a living that requires the most of a persons abilities and capabilities. I thought about a set of criteria and came up with these basic requirements for entry to the Most Difficult Profession list.
1. Intellectual involvement. By this I mean the amount/level of difficulty/and consistent demand for improvement of your educational needs as well as how much of your capability must be used on a daily basis.

2. Personal Risk. How much you and your health and safety are compromised by the performance of your work. This could encompass anything from dealing with extremes of physical demands to working odd shifts and all hours. Or working outside vs inside.

3. Stress Levels. This is a concrete and serious aspect of a job. If you are working as a producer in Network live television; your stress level will be considerably higher than if you are selling real estate.

4. Level of Dedication required to perform your work. Say you are a Preist and must comfort the sick and dying regularly; you had better be dedicated.

I use these four very broad outlines but inside each proscription is numerous and finely judged aspects of work.
So as an example I would offer the job of Coast Guard Search and rescue. This has to be in the running for most difficult and demanding.
Or maybe high tension powerline repair. Undercover narcotics agent. Small list; it would be interesting to see if anyone has anything to add.
Then there could be a category for everyday jobs like Policeman or Architect. I hear the Architect requirements are much more demanding than taking the LSAT'S or the CPA exam.
Even office work could have it's difficulty rating; or even tech work.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58885 is a reply to message #58884] Fri, 07 July 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
As I wrote once, I have a friend who is a minefield-cleaner. He drives more then 100km every day to his work in one direction, a few days ago he had the car accident. Or, if the minefield is at larger distance, he must sleep in some motel, for weeks. It is a manual, hard-working field job, mostly on bushes. These days the temperature was over 35°C, and he had a dehidration "blackout".
One mistake - and bye-bye, and four kids at home. Plus the responsibility - he must signs that his route is clean of mines.
His sallary is low and always late.
But, when we asked him is his work too hard - he said, "no - I like that, being in some office or the store is much worse - IMO."
Go figure...

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58886 is a reply to message #58885] Fri, 07 July 2006 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes that is the point. Many jobs like that are held by guys who love what they do; the danger and difficulty is part of the appeal.
I wonder if it is true as they say that everyone thinks their job is the most difficult. I remmember back in the day when my good friend was a troubleshooter for Con-Ed. We would be at a party in January somewhere at 3 O'Clock in the AM and a snowstorm and boom; he would get a phone call; gotta go in, theres trouble. Now back then we partied well and hearty; so he would be driving into the city loaded after being up for 30 hours already to work outside in the snow and ice up on the high power lines drunk as a lord. Sometimes they would keep him for around the clock shifts. He'd come home to the apt looking like death warmed over.
Thats a demanding job. So when I would hear someone complain about their boss in some office; or some deadline was so frantic; I would have to laugh.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58887 is a reply to message #58884] Sat, 08 July 2006 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How about skunk wrangler?

I read about a guy who has that job - he was born without a sense of smell so it doesn't bother him. The weird thing is he has a wife who (somehow)manages to put up with it.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58888 is a reply to message #58887] Sun, 09 July 2006 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Is he the guy with the Jack-A-Lope ranch? Or a lawyer?

Neither [message #58889 is a reply to message #58888] Sun, 09 July 2006 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Real Deal

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58890 is a reply to message #58884] Sun, 09 July 2006 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I was just thinking; every president of modern time has a before and after picture that makes them look 20 years older in a 4-8 year stint.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58891 is a reply to message #58890] Sun, 09 July 2006 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why were you thinkin' that? Now I have to look at my before and after. I hate mirrors.

Re: Neither [message #58892 is a reply to message #58889] Sun, 09 July 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
He loves skunks; can't smell and his name is Dragoo? Pretty wild stuff. Remmember the college dorm days? We had no sense of smell.

Re: Most Difficult Job [message #58894 is a reply to message #58886] Sun, 09 July 2006 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Many military jobs are pretty tough as far as intellectual involvement, personal risk, stress levels, and level of required dedication. Everyone thinks of fighter pilots or infantrymen, but how about Navy submarine crews? They are an all-volunteer group, and must undergo very stringent mental and physical testing in the selection process. Many are culled out. Only sound physical specimens with absolute nerves of steel and off-the-scale intelligence make it.

Think about it. Basically, you are locked in a tin can with a nuclear reactor, high voltage equipment, dozens of explosive torpedos, and enough nuclear warheads to destroy several small nations. Then, they sink you in 500 feet of salt water ON PURPOSE.

Satellites, surface ships, aircraft, and other subs are searching for you. There is no place to take cover. Taking a direct hit in an attack means a certain, violent death, with little to no chance of your body ever being recovered and given a decent burial. You have a responsibility to do your job perfectly, without error. Many times, even the simplest mistake could mean death for you and your comrades. Both individually and collectively, you have a tremendous responsibilty. Talk about stress!

Your entire personal space consists of a tiny locker and the rack you sleep in, which has a privacy curtain. There is no view, no sunlight, and no stepping ouside for some fresh air when off duty. You must step lightly and close doors gently, so as not to give away your sub's position. There is no telephone or mail as on a surface ship. Radio silence must be maintained always.

You have no active communication with your family. Their only communication to you consists of a "family-gram" transmitted once every five weeks, which must be 50 words or less. Actually, your name must be the first word, and their name the last, so it's really only 48 words. Naval Intelligence checks it for crypto and hidden code, and if your wife says something like, "Aunt Suzy isn't feeling well," they'll call her and ask how close you are to Aunt Suzy. If they think it'll cause you any stress or worry, they'll delete it from the message.

Your only luxury is the food, which is the best in the entire military. You eat things like prime rib, lobster, and filet mignon, all expertly prepared. Submarine cooks receive special culinary training, and some have went on to be staff chefs at the White House.

I learned this from a friend who was one of my high school classmates. She married a submariner a few years after graduation, and he remained in the Navy for 5 more years afterwards. She said it was very tough, but they made it. But, many *don't* make it. Submariners are the highest divorce rate in the military.

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Syria
Next Topic: What Sucks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:27:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers