Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Doctors vs Guns
Doctors vs Guns [message #58864] Fri, 30 June 2006 19:41 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A little statistacal tongue and cheeck. I'm not sure of the quality of the stats but it was funny just the same.

Doctors:
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are
120,000 (1 out of 6 doctors has an accidental death per year?)

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of
Health Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now think about this:
Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is
80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million..)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately
9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Re: Doctors vs Guns [message #58865 is a reply to message #58864] Fri, 30 June 2006 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You should hear the stories I hear; it would curl your tail-feathers. One of the reasons I am shit-scared of managed care.

Links, citations and cartoons, of course... :-) [message #58867 is a reply to message #58864] Sat, 01 July 2006 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

A famous aphorism (usually attributed to Mark Twain or Benjamin Disraeli): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Re: Doctors vs Guns [message #58868 is a reply to message #58865] Sat, 01 July 2006 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

So John, What do you think of health care in general? At this point it's almost 'not' affordable; one way or another it takes a huge chunk from either the company who provides it, or the person who buys it.
The situation looks to me, if we don't come up with some kind of control, major health care will be cost prohibitive.

Re: Doctors vs Guns [message #58869 is a reply to message #58868] Sat, 01 July 2006 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Bill; don't get me started!
Health care is easily solved; number one is restrictions on the insurer's. New regulations on the insurance business; from how much tax write-offs they can claim to what their net-loss percentage can be. The salaries of executives and middle-management.
Next; drugs. Limitations on exclusivity rights. For the same reason that the current music/movie/books/information resources are being choked off and stifled by copyright abuses and fair use limitations we are being hosed by drug manufacturers.
Health care delivery systems. Number one abuse is the 20million illegals that cost an absolutely astounding amount of wasted money for hospital visits.
Then we have the numbers of very expensive hoistpital stays for people with self-inflicted health complaints; lung cancer from cigarrettes/alchohol/diabetics from life-style issues. Etc etc.
To treat a motorcycle head trauma victim is so enormously expensive that just a couple hundred of no helmet accidents could fund a small cities health care budget for a year.
I can't go on because this subject is limitless so let me end with a story.
The state of Nevada commisioned a federally managed study to see exactly who is using the medical resources in the hospitals in the city of Las Vegas.
They discovered that out of all of the tens of thousands of hospital visits in one year; the repeat visits from the same individuals accounted for over 33% of the total number of visits. That figure floored the researchers. The total bill of some 400 million dollars a year in hospital fees were generated by a significant number of the same people.
So they followed up by searching out these records and following the trail of the most invidious users of the health care resources in the hospitals.
One particular individual was responsible in one year for over 200 visits. He alone ran up costs of over one MILLION dollars.
Why? He was an alchoholic street person. He would get drunk and fall down. He had like twenty broken bones in one year. But that wasn't the most of the expense. He banged his head several times and required nuerosurgury twice to relieve pressure on the brain. Know what that kind of treatment cost? Not to be glib but one of the hospital administrators offered to put the guy up in the most expensive hotel in Vegas with a 24 hr nurse because that would have saved the county hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical costs.
The moral is we either accept that there must be programs funded to treat these kind of people or we will continue to pay amazing amounts of money to restore very small numbers of people to health.
Illegals/drugs/lack of care for the indigent; thats probably about 50% of the total health bill in our country.
The fact that insurers have no responsibility to provide any prophylactic care is half the problem and easily solved. Its a disgrace really how we let these pirates rake in the money and walk away from their responsibilities.

Why healthcare? You guys got guns. [message #58870 is a reply to message #58868] Sat, 01 July 2006 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
You are too tough to get sick.

Re: Why healthcare? You guys got guns. [message #58871 is a reply to message #58870] Sat, 01 July 2006 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

ha, ha ,ha; I thought my kids should see a doctor once in a while. They dont have guns.

Haha, Eldragon - you deserve the picture of football hooligans, too! [message #58872 is a reply to message #58870] Sun, 02 July 2006 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

P.S. - Forget the soccer, this is for sissies, do you tough guys watch the "Ultimate Fight" / "Pride" version? Yesterday was half-finale in Japan, and half-finalists are Mirko Filipovic ("Cro Cop"), Minotaur, Van der Silva and Barnett. I watched Filipovic vs. Joshida fight... Low-kicks in the knee, and judo-expert fell down...

Re: Haha, Eldragon - you deserve the picture of football hooligans, too! [message #58873 is a reply to message #58872] Sun, 02 July 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We have some kind of Ultimate Fighting championship here this weekend. All they do is grab eachother; falldown and lay in the corner squeezing and turning red.
I remmember when Ali fought that Karate guy; he slapped him silly.

Re: Haha, Eldragon - you deserve the picture of football hooligans, too! [message #58874 is a reply to message #58873] Sun, 02 July 2006 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

This is the real thing - IMO, there`re no fighters in any style that can menage withe these guys. This is the mixture of everything - from judo, wrestling, karate, box, jiu-jitce... No (just) boxer can win them - they`ll just grab him, pull down, twist his leg, head, or arm - Minotaur is especially good in that (Brasilian jiu-jitce)...and you can beat him in the head by fist...nothing.
Maybe there`re something on the net (fight movies, etc.), try the "Ultimate fight", "Pride", and the names of figters in the "Google", this is a big thing in Japan...
Like my friend said, and I repeat "there`re nothing more manly and macho, like two man fighting each other, dressed only in their panties."

Previous Topic: New York Times Leak
Next Topic: Ken Lay
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:30:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout