Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » New York Times Leak
Re: New York Times Leak [message #58850 is a reply to message #58842] Wed, 28 June 2006 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

What if people are not clever after all? Maybe they are brainwashed by the media. There is a lot of talk radio and it's pretty much one side or the other. Both sides say the other side sucks and your going to die a slow miserable and impovered death if you defect from red to blue or blue to red.

Personally, I dint like party politics. I'd like to be a republican, and more often than not I like those candidates. But I vote for candidates. not a party line. I feel people voting straight party line are not voicing an educated opinion; but an opinion of the party. I'm very conservative on some things and very liberal on others. no one party suits me so there would be not one party of candidates that would suit me. Since I'm an individual, I vote for individuals.

Death tax is pittance. wait till the average wage earner is making 75k a person in a few year and a married couple reports 150k and none of the itemized deduction amount to a piss hole in the snow, because your paying AMT.

What about 400 billion in war efforts in 6 years.
No student left behind my ass. That money could send 10 years of high school graduates to college across the country fro free.

And of course you realize that the monthly payment for a family HMO is around 900. which is no more than the average mortgage payment.

Re: A classic example [message #58851 is a reply to message #58849] Wed, 28 June 2006 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You make some good points. I think we have to disregard the religous aspect initially because some of that thinking cancels itself out since different sects think different ways.
My mom and dad live in a very small town in North Dakota but I so seldom have been there that I have no real insight into what their thinking is. But I know how insular the limited size and exposure to experience can be.
But the concept that people would vote against their own interests is my point; and I see where you address that.
So what is it; is it spite; the thinking that if someone in one of the big cities is in favor of something then we will be opposed as a matter of course?
In terms of exposure to big city morals; with the computor and television and mandatory educational curricula; not to mention the leaching out of the young to better opportunities in larger areas isn't that whole negative approach irrelevant by now to most people?
When an administration bleeds money from the poor and middle-class and that is very obvious; doesn't that rank as a serious breach of trust. Enough so people get angry and resentfull; as well they should?

Re: A classic example [message #58852 is a reply to message #58851] Wed, 28 June 2006 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yes, we can disregard the religious aspect, but let's not forget it still is lurking in the background.
I don't know if spite is the right word. I think it's still the small town mentality of "this or that" doesn't happen here and we're not going to let it (even though in reality it usually does in my experience). In my experience there were usually only a handful of people willing to take forward initiative on any stance in my small town. I think a lot of that has to do with the good chance of being ostracized in a small community. In a city, that doesn't necessarily happen to much effect.
Again, in my experience a lot of the kids in the small towns don't move on to larger cities. They stay near home, work the family farm, or teach at the small schools, etc.... I think the exposure to "big city morals" is actually the fuel for the negativity. They only heard about it before, or saw it for real occasionally (TV doesn't count, it's been declining forever). Now it's everywhere, as your implying. Also, most of these small towns consist of an older generation than myself and a younger generation than myself. You have a set of people that are set in their ways so to speak, voting down the line for one party or the next, not like Bill or myself. Then you've got the younger generation that don't even know what voting is I think. I've got no reason to complain, as I'm a poor example for voting rights unfortunately.
People should get angry! But in the small town I come from, a lot of people are used to having no money or losing money every year farming. As long as the gov't gives them their subsidies to farm another year they don't care. Anything that involves agriculture at the gov't level is what they're concerned about. Farming is all they know, and the markets are so worthless that it's a losing battle really for the small farmer. So whoever is for ag is who they vote for, regardless of any other agenda that candidate may have.

Re: A classic example [message #58853 is a reply to message #58852] Thu, 29 June 2006 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Very thought provoking and well presented. In my pops town they lose most of the kids as soon as they leave for college or work. They call it the brain drain and North Dakota spends lots of money studying ways to reduce it.
In terms of the overall effect that small town perceptions have on the political process I can't speculate; a place like Kansas has few congressmen but it does have two senators and the electoral votes have an impact. I can see why voting in favor of farm subsidies is typical and I guess whoever can provide the most of that money is going to be popular. What about a guy who delivers in that way but maybe doesn't hold such obviously sympathetic views along what might be considered "Moral" lines? Would in your opinion that individual still be elected?

Re: A classic example [message #58854 is a reply to message #58853] Thu, 29 June 2006 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Probably. If the choice is between ag money and morals, ag will most likely win.

Re: A classic example [message #58855 is a reply to message #58854] Thu, 29 June 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellent I have faith in human nature to seek the most gain for themselves. If that is followed we don't have a problem because whatever brings in the most money for the middle class is good. By rights looking after ourselves will in the end provide the best electorate. So how did the rep[ublicans keep the vote there; by assuring the people they would keep their subsidies?

Re: A classic example [message #58856 is a reply to message #58855] Thu, 29 June 2006 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, most of the elected officials are farmer/ranchers to begin with, so that pretty much explains that. The thing now is hunting outfitters as well as ag. The outfitters are courting the politicians quite hard and have several in hand. Why get minimal payment from the gov't for that CRP ground when you can lease it to an outfitter for $10/acre. And there is an issue with deer tags that I won't even get into. Let's just say that it's all tied together.

Re: A classic example [message #58857 is a reply to message #58856] Thu, 29 June 2006 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What exactly is a hunting outfitter? is it something like a guide or guide service that tracks game for hobby hunters?

Re: A classic example [message #58858 is a reply to message #58857] Thu, 29 June 2006 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Something along those lines. Many of the outfitters in the area I grew up in basically lease or buy prime deer hunting ground and manage the herd with feed, culling of "inferior genetics", blah blah blah, then hunters pay to hunt there. Hobby hunters, professional hunters, guys who have TV shows, own camo companies, you name it. I hunted on a lot of this ground for free (well, we helped out the landowners with their work when they needed it, gave them part of our meat at the end of the hunt, etc...) for nearly 20 years. In the last 5 years it has all been leased by either outfitters or just hunters with the cash. To hunt a trophy size whitetail deer on some land I used to have permission on is between $6-10K, depending on antler size. Multiply this for 6-12 people per week, from the 1st of Oct. till the last day of Dec. Good money even after lease payments and insurance. If I'm going to pay money like that I can go to Africa and hunt for two weeks all inclusive. But I've never been a trophy hunter. I filled the freezer when it needed to be, and took mature animals to keep the herd balanced when needed. Don't get me wrong. I, like most whitetail deer hunters like to take an animal with big antlers. It's an ego thing. That and most bucks with large headgear get that way because they are careful, so the hunt for them is far, far harder than a young one. I've know guys that hunted the same deer for 6-7 years and never got a shot. But I never went out of my way to really pick out a specific one. Most the time I was just glad to out in the woods where it's peaceful. Half the time I'd leave my bow in the vehicle.

Re: A classic example [message #58859 is a reply to message #58858] Fri, 30 June 2006 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wow; 6k?? Minge'! For that price the deer should volunteer to shoot himself for you.
Do they still have safari tours in Africa? I thought they were banned. I know they have exotic game hunts in Texas; I have hunted but I am genuinely puzzled at what the attraction is on a controlled hunt site.
I can see maybe with a bow due to the higher difficulty level but with high powered laser sited rifles???
Say; whats the best hunting book you ever read? I like the Bear; by Faulkner.

Previous Topic: CasaDice.com
Next Topic: Doctors vs Guns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:17:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout