Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Roethlisberger
Roethlisberger [message #58754] Fri, 16 June 2006 15:13 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So back to grown-up land. Does he have the right to be so careless and inconsiderate as to ride without a helmet and jeoperdise a whole teams future?
Should we as concerned citizens be allowed to regulate these things?

Re: Roethlisberger [message #58768 is a reply to message #58754] Fri, 16 June 2006 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I heard a commentary on TV about that. About how people who crash on motorcycles while not wearing helmets cost the taxpayers millions of dollars a year because they don't have insurance and head injuries are expensive. So what if you wreck wearing a helmet and are still paralyzed, but your head is OK? I sorry, I'd rather die than be paralyzed, period. The major neck injuries are caused by the weight of the helmet slinging your head around. It's definitely damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

I happened to be wearing my helmet all three times I've wrecked over the years, but 95% of the time didn't wear one. All three crashes I was glad I was wearing it due to keeping severe road rash off my head.

Re: Roethlisberger [message #58769 is a reply to message #58768] Fri, 16 June 2006 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; I hate helmets myself and always removed mine every chance i got. Connecticut is a no helmet state so we rode up there a lot.. But now I have younguns and of course thats a responsibility.
Nice post; you have a good way of looking at things.

Re: Roethlisberger [message #58770 is a reply to message #58768] Fri, 16 June 2006 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm some what at odds here. when younger I alwayd wanted to take of the helmet a protest the laws and all that such. Now days, I'm more convinced by things that would help to cut health insurance cost.

As an aside I was more bent when kids uder 14 where made to wear bike helmets; more so than helmet laws for motorcycles.

Re: Bicycle helments [message #58771 is a reply to message #58769] Fri, 16 June 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My kids are required (by me) to wear helmets when on a bicycle. I forget what the statistics are exactly, but it seems like the numbers were in the 90% range of bicycle head injuries that could be prevented by helmets. As an avid bicyclist through the years, last year I was putting in 20 miles a day plus twice that on a saturday, I would never go out without a skid lid (my kids are led by example). I've been forced off the road by semi's twice. Came clear over onto a 20 foot wide shoulder to purposely force me in the ditch. Let me tell you it's scary and hurts a bit when you bite it in the bar ditch! Most bicycle accidents don't involve vehicles, but just sheer handling accidents where you kinda just fall over But at 25mph on a bicycle it can still thump your noggin pretty good.

What I find funny.... [message #58772 is a reply to message #58754] Sat, 17 June 2006 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
is that he wears a helmet when crashing into big slabs of meat at four or five miles an hour but doesn't need one to crash into cars and walls at 60 miles per hour.

Re: What I find funny.... [message #58773 is a reply to message #58772] Sat, 17 June 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
yes that is what lots of people seem to be having a hard time figuring out. Its understandable because I like riding sans helmet. But I wouldnt do it because I have kids. He should feel the same way.

Re: Roethlisberger [message #58774 is a reply to message #58770] Sat, 17 June 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why is that Bill?

Re: Bicycle helments [message #58775 is a reply to message #58771] Sat, 17 June 2006 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; and it is scary as hell when you see what some of the kids do; how careless and oblivious of their surroundings they can be.

Re: Roethlisberger [message #58777 is a reply to message #58774] Sat, 17 June 2006 08:22 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I looked at it like a government intrusion. Not a big deal really. The benefits are good. Like the seat belt laws, the bike helmet law was just a change I had to comply with with.
Motocycle helmet laws in NY were always in place so I never gave it thought and always ride with a lid. makes sense too.

Previous Topic: " Now when Jesus saw Herod...
Next Topic: Two Missing Gi's In Iraq
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:28:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout