Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Oklahoma
Oklahoma [message #58694] Thu, 15 June 2006 07:43 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey surprise surprise; I just found out that OK not only has a political referendum process for all the people to vote on key issues; but it was one of the first of the western states to adopt that process. People of the state are asked all the time to vote directly on ballott initiatives affecting their state. Direct participation in governing themselves.
There was a right to work provision in state law that came up in 2002 that many of Ok's finest citizens voted on. Direct action by the states citizens participating in their political process and being part of the government.
Now maybe the first ballott initiative wasn't so hot. The folks in the grand state were angry because someone wanted to take away their rights to promote "Cockfights". The fear that that form of entertainment would be outlawed spurred the legislature to adopt a referendum process in 1906 to allow the people to vote and maintain that sports predominance in their state. Sadly for them it was soundly passed and cockfighting was outlawed.
But a good example of people making up the government.

Re: Oklahoma [message #58698 is a reply to message #58694] Thu, 15 June 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oklahoma's state government is pretty good, really. I'd like us to be a little more business-freindly, to attract more jobs. Lots of energy related businesses (which used to be our mainstay) have moved to Texas. But Oklahoma is OK. ( bad pun, please forgive. )

Re: Oklahoma [message #58699 is a reply to message #58698] Thu, 15 June 2006 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
NO, no. Oklahoma is REALLY redneck. People in blue states, PLEASE don't move here. Leave us alone in our hell!

-akhilesh

Re: Oklahoma [message #58700 is a reply to message #58699] Thu, 15 June 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why do you see a huge migration lately?
Also I agree; it's nice to see the people taking their responsibilities and participation in government seriously.

Re: Oklahoma [message #58704 is a reply to message #58699] Thu, 15 June 2006 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You oughtta see Austin. Like Brokeback Mouintain.

Seriously, I like the town. But wow, I mean, rednecks with weirdness and proud of it!

Re: Oklahoma [message #58723 is a reply to message #58704] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I know. I was in Autsin last year for a week.
Overpriced, underdeveloped.
But better than the coasts.
-akhilesh

Re: Oklahoma [message #58728 is a reply to message #58723] Fri, 16 June 2006 09:04 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say AK; I didn't know you were familiar with the East Coast; when and where were you living if I my ask? Anywhere near here?

Previous Topic: Followup: What Is a Republic?
Next Topic: It is good to know
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:33:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout