Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Referndum and The People
Referndum and The People [message #58684] Wed, 14 June 2006 17:32 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
One of the ways we see that in our government the people are in control is through the referendum process. The most famous of which would probably be Californias Proposition 13; where everyone of voting age and qualified to vote in the state voted on a spending proposition that affected every state government program.
Here the power of the people is very obvious when they can; with each of their votes dictate government policy directly. As of now 24 states have a direct referendum process in place and many more have ballot initiatives that are basically the same thing.
Another example of the total control of government by the people. It's what makes us the people of America the most powerfull in the world.
Yep; we elect the leaders and throw them out if they don't perform; we vote on issues that affect us directly and we participate personally every time we attend a school board meeting or local government hearing regarding anything like zoning board issues where our locally elected board members do the will of the people.
Great stuff.

Re: Referndum and The People [message #58691 is a reply to message #58684] Wed, 14 June 2006 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI JOhn,
Does your love for the US include the red "flyover statest too, you know the ones that put Bush on office?

Re: Referndum and The People [message #58692 is a reply to message #58691] Thu, 15 June 2006 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ohio put him in office the second time. The first time he stole the election. How a man votes has nothing to do with what I think about him; except he just made a dumb mistake; thats all.

Hey, I'm from Ohio (nt) [message #58697 is a reply to message #58692] Thu, 15 June 2006 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: Hey, I'm from Ohio (nt) [message #58701 is a reply to message #58697] Thu, 15 June 2006 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm sorry to hear that.

#45 on Money's list [message #58706 is a reply to message #58701] Thu, 15 June 2006 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
West Chester, Ohio is ranked #45 on Money magazine's best places to live. Where does your town rank?

Re: Probably last... [message #58707 is a reply to message #58706] Thu, 15 June 2006 13:26 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
All the Sicilian cement heads that live here won't let anyone in to learn anything about us anyway. There was an out-of-town guy a couple years ago wanted to buy south of Montauk Highway by the water. The real estate refused to show the house; he threatened a lawsuit. The guy selling took the house off the markett for a year and a half until the lawsuit guy finally bought another home in another town. Then he put the house up and sold in two days; to a guys sister. Lot of houses for sale now though; no one can afford the taxes.
I like it here though; except there is no good food stores. I have to drive 18 miles to get the organic food I like.
But we are only 10 minutes from Fire Island. Good fishing/golfing/boating/beaches/parks/events. Always something to do; 40 minutes from Manhattan.

Previous Topic: Incidence of Violent Crime Victims self-defense from US Govt records.
Next Topic: Pheew; That was a tough one. Like Pulling Teeth.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:59:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio