Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Clearing The Air
Clearing The Air [message #58508] Thu, 08 June 2006 12:09 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have to say that it's a funny world. Look at where we are now. Talking like old friends and sharing opinions and then what?? Something goes out of whack. Maybe Someone thinks they are being badgered about something they wrote; or maybe another person feels he is disrespected and made a mockery of with cartoons and repitition while another may see his cherished values denigrated.
How do things go so awry? How does a simple conversation become so muddled and confusing and lacking in specificity.
I wonder?
Now we all agree,( I hope) that everyone who posts on this board is an exceptional person. Generous to a fault; helpfull, intelligent, funny; basically enjoyable to speak with. So what cause such a disconnect?
What is the pattern of behaviour that leads to such a sorry and egregrious state of affairs? I think that it might be this: Everyone likes to have an opinion on things; and this is of course an opinion driven board. We all like to think our opinions are valuable and we like to express them to the world. Thats how people participate in conversation. But sometimes we may hold an opinion thinking that that opinion is self explanatory; and that all we have to do is state it and voila; everyone automatically will understand exactly what we mean by that opinion. Not always the case. Sometimes the reason for holding an opinion is evident only to the holder. Therefor there must eventually be an explanation for those whose understanding is not complete. Thats the difficult part explaining things. We are all guilty of this lack of explanation for our opinions.
Thats the root of the problem as I see it; someone doesn't understand and someone would rather not get into a long and descriptive explanation regarding something they see as self evident. Even though
that opinion may not be self-evident to the hearer.
Because after all; if you have an opinion it must be based on something; they just don't form out of thin air. That something is the interesting part; the opinion itself is just some words.
Anyway thats what I think for what it's worth.

The explanation is simpler than that [message #58510 is a reply to message #58508] Thu, 08 June 2006 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The objection to your posts isn't because of values or ideals, it is because of the way you put things. You've pushed and pushed and pushed, and people take offense to that. I know I do. And you don't even realize that you've been argumentative and a bit insulting. That's what gets tempers flared.

I call you my friend, and I do see you as an exceptional person. But I think this is a blind spot for you. People don't like being spoken to this way.

No blind spot here [message #58511 is a reply to message #58510] Thu, 08 June 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I learned back in October to stay clear......Colin

Re: The explanation is simpler than that [message #58512 is a reply to message #58510] Thu, 08 June 2006 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't see how you can hold me to task for that. You posted the cartoons; is that responsible? Thats disrespectfull. AK did ask me nothing but questions without providing any answers himself. Pretend it is all my errors if that makes you comfortable; you were a perfect gentleman. And still no explanations of anything. Just dodging and weaving.
I stand by what I wrote. All I asked was for a couple explanations of what things mean. Don't say it if you can't explain it.
Tell that to the peanut gallery there below you.

Re: The explanation is simpler than that [message #58515 is a reply to message #58512] Thu, 08 June 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

None of the cartoons posted were insults directed at you.

Dodging and weaving? What do you want me to say? I told you I don't like governmet intrusions. I don't like seat belt laws. The inference is obvious; I want them repealed. Same goes for a bunch of other things I think are intrusive.

Your comments have been insulting. Calling those that don't agree with you "the peanut gallery" is insulting. Saying that I am "dodging and weaving" is insulting. Failing to see that you're rubbing people the wrong way is frustrating. These guys are your friends, John. Do you call all of your friends "the peanut gallery"?

Re: No blind spot here [message #58518 is a reply to message #58511] Thu, 08 June 2006 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've stayed clear for the same reason.

Re: The explanation is simpler than that [message #58521 is a reply to message #58515] Thu, 08 June 2006 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Only the ones who have to ride on your coatails when you post. Sorry thats not my style.
I only asked why you feel that way. Never got any response; just insulting cartoons. I was genuinely interested in understanding your position but you just kept dismissing my questions and thats where we are.

Re: The explanation is simpler than that [message #58522 is a reply to message #58521] Thu, 08 June 2006 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you want to talk politics, religion or "life, the universe and everything", lets do it via E-Mail or telephone. That's always cool with me and you know you're welcome to call anytime.

Re: The explanation is simpler than that [message #58523 is a reply to message #58522] Thu, 08 June 2006 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well I would love to call but then we wouldn't talk politics or religion because we would be too busy bullshitting. But some day I will get a real response on this stuff from you; you can run but you can't hide.
This is a world I know nothing of.

"You can run but you can't hide" [message #58525 is a reply to message #58523] Thu, 08 June 2006 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What in the world? Sounds like an ultimatum, if I don't agree with your world view you're going to try and talk me into submission. John, what is this all about?

This whole badgering is worse than religious fanatics that corner you on the street or come to your door at 7:00am on a Saturday hoping to convert recruits.

Previous Topic: Ya' know what really pisses me off?
Next Topic: Nice discussion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:36:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout