Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Clearing The Air
An apology [message #58546 is a reply to message #58544] Fri, 09 June 2006 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John, All BS aside, I am sorry for the below statement......Colin

Re: What percentage of what you say is nonsense? [message #58547 is a reply to message #58542] Fri, 09 June 2006 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
nt

Re: An apology [message #58548 is a reply to message #58546] Fri, 09 June 2006 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I know this is another set-up; but I admitt I don't see it coming.

Re: An apology [message #58549 is a reply to message #58548] Fri, 09 June 2006 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John, It is not a set-up. I am really sorry for that remark. It was out of line, even for the Dungeon.....Regards, Colin

Re: An apology [message #58550 is a reply to message #58549] Fri, 09 June 2006 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Never gave it a thought; but I am still waiting for the punchline. Frankly; those kinds of things don't bother me. Anger is a healthy and honest response. Passive-agressive behaviour isn't. I'd rather deal with ten angry men than one passive-agressive.

0% so far [message #58551 is a reply to message #58547] Fri, 09 June 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You have been unable to show that any of these views are outside society's norms.

Come on, John - [message #58552 is a reply to message #58550] Sat, 10 June 2006 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Don't start punching Colin too. What's with all this? You're a valued member here on ART, practically one of the founding fathers here. We all respect you. But you seem to have lost respect for many of us. It seems if people here don't agree with your fairly liberal views, you attack them.

I like you very much, John, but I don't like that kind of behavior.

You mentioned passive-aggression. The truth is that raging on an internet messageboard is one of the ways it shows. One of the main features of passive-aggressive behavior is a tendency to try to make others angry, to frustrate others and to pick fights. Thats what you've done in the Dungeon more than anything else. If you wanted to do something productive, you could do political work in your local community, fund a lawsuit to change things, something like that. But arguing and insulting your friends isn't cool. That won't help anything. If you wanted to vent, I could understand. But that doesn't include attacking people that have been your friends.

Re: 0% so far [message #58553 is a reply to message #58551] Sat, 10 June 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Add another to the list. Look at zoning and construction restrictions that are iresponsible. I mean, as with all these laws that have become invasive, they start with a good idea. Construction permits, codes and inspections help keep buildings safe. But I see way too many cases where an inspection is required and the "inspector" isn't as capable as the person having the inspection done.

Another case is where a requirement is made that makes no sense, or even forces the builder to take a path that's not as good as what they would have done without the requirement. Case in point, a friend of mine built a restaurant and bar and the grills purchased were much better than code required. So the health inspector made him pull them out and get crappy ones that met code. Stupid!

Another case in point, the poor buggers in Austin just found themselves strapped with a law that says they cannot add on to the homes or make improvements in certain areas. And in some cases, it even prevents rebuilding after a catastrophe. If a house burns down, sometimes it cannot be rebuilt as it was and has to be made smaller. I'm not talking about wiring or structural changes, I'm talking about size. Big Brother Austin ( maybe I should have said big sister there ) wants to control the size of properties placed on the owners' lots. Owners rights are dwindling all the time, eroded by Big Brother.

In each of these cases, I'd say it falls into a category of taxation without representation. Did any of these people affected vote on those zoning laws? Probably not. They got slipped in, under the wire. Many of them are pretty hard to defend. Civil engineers have the unenviable jobs of being red tape administrators more than engineers. Their job is to research codes and make sure they can pass them rather than to actually design bulings that make sense. It's a sad state of affairs.

Amazing [message #58554 is a reply to message #58550] Sat, 10 June 2006 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Apologize and then get psychoanalyzed. You are a man of many talents.

Re: 0% so far [message #58557 is a reply to message #58553] Sun, 11 June 2006 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne; over here by me the Planning Commision/Zoning Board is an elective office. They are elected officials.
I don't always agree with them because it is usually the fox guarding the henhouse regarding who gets elected; but I can cast my vote. So it is partly my responsibility.
And according to law the appeals court must construe strictly for the petitioner and against the board. So there is that also.

Previous Topic: Ya' know what really pisses me off?
Next Topic: Nice discussion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:40:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout