Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Hmmm
Hmmm [message #58490] Wed, 07 June 2006 18:15 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think the thing about listening to someone express their opinions and beliefs while not wanting to express your own is a self-esteem issue. There is a fear that you will not come out on the winning end of a discussion; so you save yourself by terminating the talk before you have to comitt to anything. That way no one can pin you down on what you believe and require honest and carefully thought out answers.
If you are uncertain or not so sure of something; its better to remain quiet and not be exposed.

Re: Hmmm [message #58491 is a reply to message #58490] Wed, 07 June 2006 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Agreed. Most people have a fear of being wrong, me included. Natural instinct in a world where people are made to feel belittled because of their opinions. And some people just don't like confrontation, especially politics or religion where beliefs run strong and deep. That's where heads really butt each other. Then people tend to get frustrated and come across as less than convincing, less than sincere, less than intelligent.

If this is in relation to Wayne, I don't see a problem with him not wanting to commit to a debate which he may not want to engage in. Remember, you have the right to express your opinion, and another right to not say why you believe that way. Freedom of speech and thinking. For instance, I say I believe in Jesus. I don't have to justify this to anyone but my savior. I don't have to give reasons to anyone but myself and He.

Give it a rest (NT) [message #58492 is a reply to message #58490] Wed, 07 June 2006 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: Hmmm [message #58493 is a reply to message #58491] Wed, 07 June 2006 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No one in particular just reflecting on things in general. But I would say that was a good honest reply. The only thing I would say is I dont see the confrontation angle; about what is there a confrontation when we discuss things like we do? I enjoyed your response here. And I dont recall seeing anyones personal beliefs challenged; just the reasons behind why we say things is the only thing I see.
But I dont get the belittled part; if you are serious then how can anyone belittle you unless you let them? And by now the five or six people that post on this dungeon pretty much have each other figured out I would say.
Now patronising and condescending; thats another story. That shows no respect for people and that cannot be abided.

Re: Why? [message #58494 is a reply to message #58492] Wed, 07 June 2006 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
?

Re: Hmmm [message #58496 is a reply to message #58490] Wed, 07 June 2006 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's hogwash, John. Many times, those that express themselves most loudly are those with the least confidence.

Another thing is polite company. Going on and on about sensitive and/or combative issues is impolite.

I'll tell you something else that gets my goat. People that go to abortion clinics and try to shame the girls there with rude innuendos. The girls there are having enough trouble, I expect. Or going to a funeral of a fallen soldier and getting political. That's pathetic.

As for this place, it isn't nearly as sensitive but it isn't really necessary to go on and on either. It's insulting and unneccesary and puts off those that would be friends. Is there really so little room for common ground?

Re: Hmmm [message #58505 is a reply to message #58496] Thu, 08 June 2006 07:11 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So who is expressing themselves loudly here? I personally have been dying to have someone disagree with a good argument instead of just enumerating their complaints. Thats the enjoyment of talk; to become enlightened as to how others think.
What is sensitive about these issues; they affect all of us and are part of our everyday life; so why the silence?
I can't speak to the fallen soldiers; because as far as I am concerned the real issue is not who does or does not complain but that they don't belong dead at all in the first place. They should be home here with their families.
Abortion; I won't touch that because too many people have been scarred by either well meaning but intrusive busy-bodies or hard core zealots who terrorise helpless women.
Common ground? We are all Americans fullfilling our duty as citizens to be aware and conscious of the issues of the day; thats why we are here discussing these things at all. Thats as common as it gets.
Freinds; never doubted it for a minute.

Previous Topic: You cant have it both ways
Next Topic: OK so I know now not to take anything you say serious.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:52:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio