Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » You cant have it both ways
You cant have it both ways [message #58473] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:29 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If you are against the thought of government collecting taxes; making laws creating schools; building roads etc; then you should not expect that there be a free society. Because without equal representation for every member of society there cannot be a free and equal society. Then only the best connected or wealthiest people from the right religous or business or ethnic groups will ever see any of the benefits of freedom. If your town favors only those of one group and there is no government or laws to protect the few who dont belong; well, thats it for them unlucky ones.
I worship only the rights enumerated in our constitution and Bill of Rights. Free and equal treatment under the law with no law made favoring any one particular group over any other group.
I pay my taxes thankfully for the right to be a part of this.
What does that mean? If the members of the society see a threat; they petition their government to try and stop it. If people see those hurt or dead from indiscriminate use of weapons by unreliable individuals; they petition the government to pass laws dictating where and when people can own and use those deadly weapons.
I like that. It protects my kids. Same with many of the other laws that are passed to protect the innocent. Like anti-smoking laws, children now dont have to breath the cancer from others cigarrettes.
Speeding; saves a lot of lives the people want that.
Rebels only think of themselves; their needs and their desires. The government must represent all the people, not just the selfish ones.

Too much petitioning, too little self reliance [message #58481 is a reply to message #58473] Wed, 07 June 2006 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Maybe the government should be petitioned to guarantee every citizen a living wage with a home entertainment system and a good tube amp? eh?
-akhilesh

Re: Too much petitioning, too little self reliance [message #58484 is a reply to message #58481] Wed, 07 June 2006 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why do you guys down there all hate the government so much? I have to live by the same rules you do; I dont hate my elected representatives who I voted for; and the ones I didn't I would like to see changed. But I still have no problem with obeying the laws.
I dont see the govt giving away Home Entertainment Systems; I dont know how to respond to that.

Re: Too much petitioning, too little self reliance [message #58497 is a reply to message #58484] Wed, 07 June 2006 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It isn't about hating the government. It is about hating government intrusion. That's the same sort of thinking that drove all immigrants to come here; It's what the country was founded on.

Re: Too much petitioning, too little self reliance [message #58499 is a reply to message #58497] Thu, 08 June 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
See; thats a point of interest; but I have to say that if you really believe that then this current government should be appalling to your belief. All the spying on everyone; thats un-aAmerican to me and represents the worst kind of government intrusion.
When you complain about not being allowed to carry loaded handguns; of course I have to ask what that is about. Thats a wish of the people expressed to thier representatives who then do the wishes of the electorate. So if you blame the government itself I have to ask why?
I mean to me there has to be some rules for safety.

Re: Too much petitioning, too little self reliance [message #58500 is a reply to message #58499] Thu, 08 June 2006 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ah, but the representatives sometimes don't do the wishes of the electorate. In the case of Ks hunting legislation we have seen this over and over again. They are more influenced by big outfitters lobbying (read $$$$) than by their constituents. Granted, they can be voted out next term, which has been done, but by then it is too late.

Re: Too much petitioning, too little self reliance [message #58502 is a reply to message #58500] Thu, 08 June 2006 06:56 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
True; lobby'sts effect legislation. But there is no politician who is not scared of the voter who ultimately can vote them out of a job. Will every piece of legislation please everyone? No; buts hey..thats Democracy.

Previous Topic: Gee; why is it no one likes to answer questions?
Next Topic: Hmmm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:58:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout