Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Guns
Re: Guns [message #58467 is a reply to message #58466] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That was a great show. You guys get all the old westerns out there?

Re: So you think we should repeal the Patriot act of course. [message #58469 is a reply to message #58464] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was trying to not be rude, to give you the courtesy of an answer, if only a brief one. So I posted replies instead of ignoring you. I don't post in the Dungeon very often because I don't like the politics down here. The threads usually turn one-sided or insulting or both.

Re: Guns [message #58471 is a reply to message #58455] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
We rent for right now, so no dog. Although we used to have one when we owned our own house. I use the bow for home defense because the guns are in a 1500lb safe. Quick retrieval is not an option there.

Re: Guns [message #58477 is a reply to message #58471] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Shane; what are the chances of a home invasion by you? I have lived 54 yrs; and I dont know of anyone invaded in their home. I lost two very close and good friends who were the salt of the earth to gun shot wounds by robbers while doing their jobs though. One was armed but killed in ambush.
Both weapons were not sold here; they were brought in from southern states with liberal gun sales and possesion laws.
Try looking at a 43 yr old guy with kids that you have known since you are twelve; lying in a coffin.
Pistols should be illegal; the existing weapons should be destroyed and the penalty for owning one is life without parole. Illegal to import or manufacture handguns with a mandatory 25 yr sentence for doing either.
Thats my pean to the more than 9k people killed very year with handguns; including over 2000 children.
I would try to come up with something amusing here but there is nothing amusing about this.
Oh; this is not directed to you; you seem reasonable about this.

Re: Guns [message #58480 is a reply to message #58458] Wed, 07 June 2006 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Why should people have rifles? Do you use the rifle for anything? Do you hunt on long island with it? Why should you have it? And why would you need THREE rifles. Isn't one enough to hunt animals with?

If you don;t hunt there is no reason for you to keep the rifle in your house. You should surrender it like a good citizen (at least what you think of as a good citizen) Surely you cannot be trusted with a rifle that can (gasp) kill people at hundreds of yards. much much worse than handguns. I am surprised they haven;t banned rifles in New York. Or maybe that is why you live on long island and not one of the boroughs?

-akhilesh

Re: Guns [message #58483 is a reply to message #58480] Wed, 07 June 2006 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
AK I see something here I must express. I have no problem saying exactly what I think about things. So I will be more than happy to answer your questions; but if you read the posts you will see that I am doing all the answering; while you answer my questions with another question. Same with Wayne; soon as I ask how he feels about things the conversation ends.
I only asked if you would like the right to have a loaded handgun on your person. You reply with another question for me.
So I will tell you what; you answer my question then I will answer yours. I would like the opportunity to see how others feel about things also; instead of hearing myself talk.

Re: Guns [message #58485 is a reply to message #58477] Wed, 07 June 2006 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I know 4 people that have had their houses burglarized in the last two years. One was home at the time and received a severe beating (lucky the burglar wasn't armed probably). My step-mom's sister was murdered in her home by an aquaintance that had been there earlier that evening. And no, she didn't let him in the second time. He broke in and stabbed her to death and then tried to kill her roomate as well. I know a guy who came home from the farm one day and a guy had broken into his house and was trying to get his wife. He took his pistol, backed the guy down, then beat him to within an inch of his life with it. Never fired a shot.

I don't believe pistols (or guns in general for that matter) should be banned. There was the whole assault weapon thing there years ago. Now I happened to own one of those and took offense that they wanted to take it from me. I used it legitimately as a hunting weapon only and when my hunting priveledges are challenged I tend to get riled some. I would like to see the % of children that are accidentally killed by handguns. This is a case of parents not taking responsibility for their weapons most of the time. You don't leave a pistol out. You don't leave ammunition out. You don't store ammunition with your weapons. Basic safety.

IF someone wants to kill someone else of course a pistol is the most conveinent as it's portable and small typically. But a rifle is
just as deadly. I can't hit anything past 20 yards with a pistol, but anything out to 400-450 yards with a rifle is more than fair game. I think that's why most mass killers choose rifles over pistols.???

My pet peeve is drunk driving more than guns. For the simple fact that the right to bear arms is exactly that, a right. Whereas there is no right to drive. It is a priveledge, period. And I don't know how many times I've seen that abused. Myself included when I was young and stupid. My wife's 18 year old brother was killed by a DD a couple months into our dating. Right out of high school. My cousin was killed by a drunk judge who ran a stop sign in broad daylight in the middle of town and hit him on his motorcycle. Guy didn't spend one minute in jail. No fine, no sorry, no insurance, no nothing. I think if you get caught DD it should be at lease a 5 year mandatory suspension of your license and more community service than you can stand. So what if you can't get to work anymore, should have thought about that before hand. There seem to be lots of rules, but consequences are not enforced anymore. I know a guy that has gotten out of 5 DUI's.

Re: Guns [message #58486 is a reply to message #58485] Wed, 07 June 2006 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I agree on the drunk drivers how can you not? Its a straw man really because there is no defense against DD really. But I have to ask; where is it you live? Man it sounds damned dangerous over there. What is going on?
Rifles can be used to kill people thats no brainer but they are much harder to conceal; they have a legimate purpose and they are much harder to weild in close.
I dont know how to rationalise the second amendment. It was written at a time when most people could not own or afford pistols and automatic weapons. Pistols designed back then were unreliable and mostly caused more harm to the shooter than the target. Rifles were owned by every home for a variety of reasons and yes they were used by the early colonists to arm militias for revolt. So the people felt honestly that their rifles had a value that should be protected. How the Founding Fathers would react to everyone owning pistols and semi-automatic weapons we will never know. But above all they respected the rights of colonists to self-reliance and a rifle was a part of that at that time.
The stats on deaths from handguns are accurate.

Re: Guns [message #58495 is a reply to message #58483] Wed, 07 June 2006 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
In OKlahoma, as in many other states that are shall-issue, we already have that right, to carry it concealed.
Also, you may not know this, but YOU have the right also, thanks to the second amendment. You just can't carry it concealed. You can certainly walk around with it open. Just be careful the boys in NYC don;t jump you.

Re: Guns [message #58498 is a reply to message #58483] Wed, 07 June 2006 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

John, that's bullshit. I told you several times that I don't like government intrusion. I've given you several examples. But I've also told you that I'm busy and can't write all the time and that I really don't like talking politics on internet messageboards.

I think it's rude and insulting to act like people owe you a reply and if they don't give it they're somehow incapable morons. If you don't think you've been insulting, go back and re-read your posts.

Previous Topic: OK so I know now not to take anything you say serious.
Next Topic: O'Kay; case closed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:15:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout