Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Who's the crook?
Who's the crook? [message #58336] Thu, 25 May 2006 09:17 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hard to know who are the bigger crooks here, the first guys that stole the company, or the second guy that stole it from them, or the others that are trying to steal it back again...

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58337 is a reply to message #58336] Thu, 25 May 2006 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There are volumiouns articles and reporting on this issue. Many American companies that do business in Russia require that the Russian's post a bond before they will transact anything.
My friend goes again to Russia next week. The guy who was interpreting for them and arranging contacts with other medical units flew the coop with their brand new tractor they donated so the blind people could grow their own food.

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58340 is a reply to message #58337] Fri, 26 May 2006 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, sure, I know how the "Novi Russki" (New Russians) operate. But stop and think of this: Ever wonder how Mike Matthews' New Sensor arranged to "buy" these Russian companies a few years back?

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58341 is a reply to message #58340] Fri, 26 May 2006 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds like inside stuff; getting at the truth of that kind of thing is a needle in a haystack. At least in my experience. He said she said.

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58345 is a reply to message #58341] Fri, 26 May 2006 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Perhaps, but then again, don't listen; Think. How do you think Matthews got involved? How do you think New Sensor managed to start using the names Svetlana and Sovtek?

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58346 is a reply to message #58345] Sat, 27 May 2006 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hostile Takeover?

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58347 is a reply to message #58346] Sat, 27 May 2006 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd characterize it more like rolling homeless drunks for their pocket change, looking for rare coins. Then in comes some other thugs looking for their cut.

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58348 is a reply to message #58347] Sat, 27 May 2006 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't have much to add to this. I know there are some players on that scene that post on the boards and I am sure they have plenty to say regarding this dispute. Rolling homeless drunks I don't understand though; do you mean the people were helpless and were taken advantage of? Or do you mean that literally?
Or do you mean that shady business practices by sharp operators were employed to overwhelm a more simple and more honest group?

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58351 is a reply to message #58348] Sun, 28 May 2006 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Many busineses in Russia have fallen into hands of unscrupulous people. The reason is pretty simple - When the companies were privatized in the early 1990s, most people there didn't understand capitalism. So the ones that jumped in were sharks, thugs and crooks. That's what are known as "New Russians" - People that have taken advantage of the naivety of the population. If it were just a matter of opportunistic investors, that would be one thing. That's not the case, the "New Russian" is basically an uneducated thug, not unlike American gangsters in the 1930s. But there were also many Western thugs that moved in too. They're still working on settling things out over there, and in the meantime, most of the business owners are crooks.

That said, I don't think New Sensor is the victim here. They may become one now, but the intellectual property issues have proven them to be predatory. I'd say they probably deserve the heat.

Re: Who's the crook? [message #58354 is a reply to message #58351] Mon, 29 May 2006 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Agree. The similar situation is here, too...

Previous Topic: Forum Etiquete
Next Topic: Caver amateur :-)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:22:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout