Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Hiking, castles... what else? :-)
Hiking, castles... what else? :-) [message #58303] Sat, 13 May 2006 13:59 Go to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, the highest mountain in the area (984m) has mostly deserted and dangerous hiking-paths. Well, probably isn`t too much danger, lumberjaks are working overtime...
And yes, Middle-Ages castle converted in baroque-style in 18th century, in the center of a small town in the foot of the mountain...

Re: Hiking, castles... what else? :-) [message #58304 is a reply to message #58303] Sat, 13 May 2006 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
That first forest shot is gorgeous. I set it as my desktop. You take great pics Damir.

Re: Hiking, castles... what else? :-) [message #58305 is a reply to message #58303] Sun, 14 May 2006 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lot of history there D-Man. This is nice spending the day with your family outdoors in the mts and taking photos. It sure beats doing chores.
I used to hike the Catskill Mts. I have some nice photos from yrs of going up there. It is one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world and has a real sense of antiquity about it. You can climb the lower Catskills and pretty much walk North for about 300 miles without running into another person. Straight up to the Canadian Border. There are parts of the Adirondaks in New York that have never been thoroughly mapped. Real wilderness up there. Once in a while you find an old fireroad or logging trail; but not much else.
You ought to take some pics of your local area so we all can get an idea of what it's like over there.

Re: Hiking, castles... what else? :-) [message #58306 is a reply to message #58303] Sun, 14 May 2006 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I hope the placement of those signs are accurate

I love the old building. Is there a chace you can post others like it? I would love to see interior shots as well. My wife and I have been looking at buying a 150 year "old" house. There is just something that cannot be captured by today's builders......Colin

AHHHHH!!!! [message #58307 is a reply to message #58306] Sun, 14 May 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I live in an 140 yr old victorian. Not old by Damir's standards, but for here that's antique. You have to either have the skills to do all the repairs yourself, or have the money to hire it done. They require lots of maintenance. There's always another project. I call it the mushroom effect. I'm going to move this receptacle, and end up tearing out the whole wall.

But I wouldn't trade my 12 ft ceilings and 10ft doors for any new house. I really would like for my floors not to slope 2" from the center of the house though

Re: AHHHHH!!!! [message #58308 is a reply to message #58307] Sun, 14 May 2006 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I live in a two year old house, and the construction is up to code at best (for what that's worth.) Actually, this is our second semi-custom built in three years. The first was built on a superund site (OH SHIT!!!) Our house is pretty, but it sure ain't gonna' last no 100+ years.

My wife and I love to rehab. We buy/sell newer bank-owned homes and do most of our own work; so, we both know which end of a hammer to hold. Like one guy said about my wife, "She's pretty handy for a woman," to which I replied "she's pretty handy for a man!"

......Colin

Re: AHHHHH!!!! [message #58309 is a reply to message #58308] Mon, 15 May 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
When we went shopping for houses the first time, they took me to all these 2-5 year old homes. I crawled the attics, crawlspaces, jumped up and down on the floors. The realtor looked at me like I was crazy. I told her to take me to something that real carpenters built. Our first was 60yrs old 2 story brick. Very complex roofline. You could have gutted every interior wall without it moving an inch. Those old guys could do it. Framing that looks like finish work.

Re: AHHHHH!!!! [message #58310 is a reply to message #58309] Mon, 15 May 2006 16:24 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds like you ended up with a nice house: 12' ceilings and 10' doors. Most new high-end homes in our area are now doing this. Looks sharp as hell!!!

Previous Topic: Way to Go Senators!
Next Topic: Peter King and Immigration Reform
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 23:31:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout