Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Red State/Blue State Divide
Red State/Blue State Divide [message #58294] Fri, 12 May 2006 08:40 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Above we had a conversation regarding the Federal Deficit and the Public Debt; two entirely seperate things that somehow were lumped together to try and prove some point of which I have no idea. Asking some of the people around here if they were aware of these two things and what they meant. Everyone; both Republicans and Democrats of the six or so I asked knew full well what I was talking about and could explain the difference.
So it dawned on me. We need some public education regarding how things work in our government. Evidently the schools aren't doing it; so how to educate people about fundamental issues that affect us all.
That is the real question we must address. An uneducated citizenry is subject to manipulation and control. This should be addressed.

Re: Red State/Blue State Divide [message #58295 is a reply to message #58294] Fri, 12 May 2006 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"Above we had a conversation regarding the Federal Deficit and the Public Debt; two entirely seperate things that somehow were lumped together to try and prove some point of which I have no idea. "

Why do you say they are entirely spearate? Does not the deficit lead to the debt? IN othre wrods the debt is the cumulative of all the deficits - cumulative surplus.

-akhilesh

Re: Red State/Blue State Divide [message #58296 is a reply to message #58295] Fri, 12 May 2006 11:53 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Public Debt is a figure that represents all the monies owed by the Govt in perpituity. You have a Savings Bond at Home? Thats part of the public debt. You have a mortgage? Fannie Mae insures it.
The Deficit is the amount of money that the government pays out over and above what it takes in each year. Cut the deficits and you cut the debt. But you can never cut the public debt entirely because that is how our economy functions; hence your savings bond.
As long as the government runs a deficit economy it adds more to the public debt over the long haul. But the long haul debt will always be there; Thats why bonds are issued in different time spans.
Deficit Spending on the other hand affects our economy right now because the budget is changed on a yearly basis. It alters interest rates and tax rates and employment rates. Thats how the fed tweaks the economy. Look at the Deficit numbers for the years 1990 to 2000; the deficit shrunk and as a result the economy rose due to prudent fiscal policy that did not favor one specific group but helped all of us. Look at the deficit totals for those years; less deficit spending=more public monies available. That meant more people investing and buying things and that =a better economy. Some say it created a bubble; but bubbles can be contained. What we have now is nothing short of a time bomb waiting to happen within the next 10 yrs. Why do you think the price of gold is so high now? Inflation hedge.

Think of the past and what happened; low deficit=high standard of living.
The public debt has been with us since the begginning; yet the economy changes all the time; if the public debt was critical then the economy would always suffer because the public debt always increases with the increase in the value of money. 20 yrs ago what was your salary per week? Well the public debt rises like your salary rises. You make a lot more now But you aren't living a whole lot better right? Because the money is worth less. Thats why the public debt rises also. I hope this made sense because it is very important and many times used to confuse.

The Public Debt as of May was 8,357,988,734,259.29. The Govt part of that is 4,813,467,861,190.94.

Previous Topic: "Little Rose" Tower
Next Topic: Nice To Know The phone companies are so eager to give your info to the Govt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:11:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio