Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » I don't have any cartoons; any have anything interesting?
Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58191 is a reply to message #58188] Wed, 05 April 2006 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Only for the basic vertical shaft like they use on $99 lawnmowers. Go to this site. I've been buying engines from them for 30 years. You have to pay cash, figure the shipping and they'll refund any difference. The inventory changes monthly, and currently is pretty lean. They buy overstocks, takeoffs and overruns. Years ago the motors used to come with serial #'s ground out.

3.5 is pretty small even for 2.5k gen. I'd be looking at a 5. I'd also look at tecumseh. I've always had good luck with them, no matter what the rep. Let me know what you want and I'll check the wholesale price for you.

Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58192 is a reply to message #58190] Wed, 05 April 2006 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Heck, I don't know one from the other. I heard a decent system last year that I think was a SOTA, but I don't remember for sure. I just remember thinking, hey - that's sounds as good as my CDP, but with more presence for lack of a better word. I refuse to buy used on the net after reading so many packing and shipping horror stories. And I have my own with other electronics. I wouldn't know a decent used one if I found it because I wouldn't know what to look for.

I'm such a newb!

Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58193 is a reply to message #58192] Wed, 05 April 2006 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Check out audioadvisor.com. If you can wait, I would check daily under the clearance section for what you want. Good people to do business with. See link for a nice TT that's well within your price range......Colin

Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58194 is a reply to message #58193] Wed, 05 April 2006 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I had looked at this one several months ago, but didn't know if it was any good. One person says, yeah it's a great starter TT, and the next person says, no it's junk spend $400 more and get X or Y. Too confusing when you know squat about it.

Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58195 is a reply to message #58194] Wed, 05 April 2006 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Does not matter what you buy; someone, somewhere will say it's crap.

Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58196 is a reply to message #58194] Thu, 06 April 2006 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; there really isn't that much you need to know. At the price level you mention and you want to go new; then think about certain things is how I look at it. Is the arm decent? Does the table have a following; ie, is there good manufacturer support.
What is your long term goal regarding albums. Do you want to build a collection; or do you just want something to play a hundred or so records on.
At the 400$ price point you can get a decent deck that will play records and sound good. If you want or plan to build a real collection then you might want to spend more. That deck looks good; I am sure they are OEM suppliers for it so we don't know who makes it; but at that price and with a cartridge you can get by and be happy. I mean really how many hours a day will you be listening?
Now if you want audiophile sound; well that's a different ballgame. What does the VPI JR sell for nowadays?

Turntables [message #58197 is a reply to message #58195] Thu, 06 April 2006 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, for new I had looked at the Music Hall and Goldring decks in the posts above as well as the Pro-Ject Debut III. I think they're probably all comparable at the $300 price range.

If I could find a Technics like Manualblock was talking about for an outlay of $100 that I could confirm was working correctly, now that would be the way to go to get started IMO. Leave more for the preamp.

Re: Turntables [message #58198 is a reply to message #58197] Thu, 06 April 2006 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You might try the Turntablefactory. They provide a warranty and they have a good rep on the net selling used tables. It might run you a little more but he does honor the garraunty.

Re: Guess what's on my shopping list [message #58199 is a reply to message #58191] Thu, 06 April 2006 11:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Much LC I'll let you know.

Previous Topic: Protests March For Immigration Reform
Next Topic: Hiking today
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 10:42:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio